What is everyone's take on Amanos as far as true algae eaters?

Hello,

I get a little bit of algae now and than an my anubias leaves , just a tiny bit no big deal but since my shrimp tank temp is bit to cool for Otto catfish, I was looking at Amano shrimp.

Do they actually eat algae or they only eat it if nothing else is available?

Thank you

Soothing,

Thanks that is what I thought.

Shrimphug,

Have you ever had any of your nerites climb out of the tank?   I ask this because I have been reading about them and some claim they aren't good in open top tanks since they are 'shoreline' snails . It does seem that they a great algae eaters .  I thought they were marine but seems several different types of them.

thanks

Yes, they don't breed in FW. But they live just fine in it. I have 3...or 4...I don't know. a lot of nerite species in my tank. 

Mine climb to the top of the tank right at the waters edge, they seem to enjoy the current of the filter. So far they havn't tried escaping. And there are plenty of ways for them to do so :)

Maybe they try to escape bad water quality tanks....

Thanks I called the pet store I used today and they said to give them 2 weeks to get them .  I intend to pick up 3 or 4 for each 20 gallon.

If they climb out than so be it but like you seems most do not have that problem and it is rare.

danielt,

In a way I find that a plus that they thrive in FW but will only reproduce in salt because I just want a few not the constant brigade of snails that one usually winds up with .

• 2 weeks later...

I can already tell that they only eat algae and do not eat my snail food unlike other snails .  I like them .

I am going to get 2 or 3 more per tank .

The lady gave me the type of nerite but I forgot . Will find out come next week .

Very underrated snail which I never knew much about till you told me. I did know they were around but just assumed they were at best brackish .

I have tried nerites twice, dip accIimating, only to have them die or stop moving after a day or two. The last one I put aside in a cup, he attached to the glass and moved so I acclimated him back in the tank, no movement for 24 hours, parameters seemed fine...

In other words I'm jealous and want 3 myself to keep my leaves/glass clean.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

countryboy,

Could it be that only 3 actually adapt to freshwater ?    The pet store lady told me that they sold only 3 types , I just assumed 3 types.

I have have heard olives lay eggs more then others, but no idea If that's true or not.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk