Cycling with controsoil and mkbreed silver

I'm wondering if this sounds normal to you guys.

Controsoil with mkbreed silver powder in the middle layer of the substrate

RO water with no remineralizer yet

Double sponge filter

I added a pinch of Bacter AE last night. Nothing else added. However, three days in and I'm already seeing ammonia and high levels of nitrite and nitrate. It sounds way too early to me.

Things of note;

I did run this sponge filter in another tank for a couple of hours but not enough to seed it. I decided it was disturbing that tank too much so i changed my mind and took it out. It was a few days after before I put it into this new tank so it dried out and I don't think any BB lived through it.

I am reusing a tank. Could it be that I didn't clean it thoroughly enough? No, I didn't use vinegar or any chemicals to clean it. Just water and scrubbing. It was also left empty and dry for a week.

Also, my pH is still in the mid 6s or so but it's still early.

ControSoil does NOT leech ammonia so how did u get ammonia levels if u never added it?

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the tank not being cleaned well enough if that's a possibility. It was a betta tank prior to this.

Do you have all the mk-breed porducts? I wouldn't mix mk and bacter ae if you dont know the results.. try cycling a way either mayphly or james aquatics has pinned. Its in care feeding and breeding

The Bacter AE wasn't anything I thought would have to do with cycling. I just thought it could help with jump starting biofilm. If not then that's a mistake I'll learn from.

The only other mkbreed product i have is blue diamond which I do plan to use once it's cycled.

Thanks, I'll look over the cycling thread again. I forgot all about it.

Yup blue diamond is your reminalizer. Check out james aquatics way of cycling its easy and simple. I plan to try it once i get controsoil. And i dont think it has to do with the bacter ae  either but something isnt right. 

I have not had a chance to set up my new controsoil tank yet as family has been visiting but I will just throw this in to the mix.   I know that Controsoil is not supposed to leech ammonia but in researching,    I   did have a very respected and experienced person tell me that he had ammonia issues with controsoil also.  

Just putting that out there. 

The equipment, substrate, and additives all sound fine, with the exception of Bacter AE, in my opinion it is still way to early to dose. What exactly are the Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels? Very unusual to have all three when starting a cycle.

I have not had a chance to set up my new controsoil tank yet as family has been visiting but I will just throw this in to the mix.   I know that Controsoil is not supposed to leech ammonia but in researching,    I   did have a very respected and experienced person tell me that he had ammonia issues with controsoil also.  

Just putting that out there. 

that would be one of the very few of many many people to have ammonia issues.. did he give you more info? like too high or too low? what other stuff did he use during cycling? 

The equipment, substrate, and additives all sound fine, with the exception of Bacter AE, in my opinion it is still way to early to dose. What exactly are the Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels? Very unusual to have all three when starting a cycle.

I have some trouble discerning different colors on the API tests sometimes so my numbers may not be entirely correct but an approximation.

ammonia - 0.5 ppm

nitrite - 0.5 ppm

nitrate - 10 ppm

It's normal.

NO3 is cause by MK-Breed Silver.

This early in the cycle though? Interesting. Thanks.

I thought this is a probiotic + nitrifying bacteria blend? Hence, it should remove NO3 instead of adding it?

The end product of nitrifying bacteria is NO3.

Are you talking about denitrifying bacteria? I don't think MK-Breed Silver has any.