YU-Center anyone buy from them?

monty703

I was interested in a possible buy from this company Yu-Center, but wondered

if anyone has purchased from them on here and if they could share some info?

Minimum quantity what would it be?

Shipping costs?

Shipping Time from Taiwan in days to your location?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have not ordered from YU as I live in the US, I would have to assume the only beneficial reason you would purchase from YU is your proximity to them. OR If the location you live has no other way to access shrimp.

I would highly recommend trying to purchase shrimp from the forum and sponsors as most of us sell high quality shrimp at lower prices.

Because I am in Canada I cannot get the shrimps I want easily.  Unfortunately I am moving to another town in the

next month and will not be able to go down to Buffalo NY to pick up my shrimps (which I do now)   There are not

many who will ship into Canada, so I am forced to find another way to get what I want, even if it costs more.

I get emails from YU all the time, so just wondered if anyone has bought from them recently and if it was successful.

Because I am in Canada I cannot get the shrimps I want easily.  Unfortunately I am moving to another town in the

next month and will not be able to go down to Buffalo NY to pick up my shrimps (which I do now)   There are not

many who will ship into Canada, so I am forced to find another way to get what I want, even if it costs more.

I get emails from YU all the time, so just wondered if anyone has bought from them recently and if it was successful.

Have you tried purchasing from Shrimpwiki.com, Shrimpfever.com? I have found many shrimp stores in Canada?

Shrimpwiki is not selling anything at all these days and as I will be over 3 hours away from Shrimpfever (where I usually get my stock in Canada) I am looking for someone else to supply me.  I have contacted Hung Lee in Saskatoon and will order from him in the Fall but other than that there is NO one in Ontario other than Shrimpfever.

We are very limited to what we can get here.

Do you need import license to import shrimp into Canada?

If you have license, then it's pretty simple.

Ask Jason Lin or Joe Chang to import it for you.

They import shrimp from Taiwan frequently.

I don't know about your end as far as the import license to export the shrimps to Canada. 

I got some sent to me from Alphaprobreeders and he didn't have any trouble shipping them to me, he ships to Canada regularly.  He just put on the description that it was caridina shrimps. 

They were checked at customs and released the same day.  He shipped them on a Monday and I had them in my tank on Wednesday.

He used FedEx, they know all the custom requirements for exporting/importing to Canada.

The thing is, there is a lot of shrimp hobbyists in Canada that want these unique shrimps, and its

virtually an untapped market if someone truly wants to do this.  As I said Shrimpfever in Ontario

has the market because he imports direct from Taiwan/China, but his store is only local to people

living in the General area of Toronto.  There is a huge area of Ontario that cannot get to his store,

which leaves a lot of would be hobbyists just out of luck!

I don't know about your end as far as the import license to export the shrimps to Canada. 

I got some sent to me from Alphaprobreeders and he didn't have any trouble shipping them to me, he ships to Canada regularly.  He just put on the description that it was caridina shrimps. 

They were checked at customs and released the same day.  He shipped them on a Monday and I had them in my tank on Wednesday.

He used FedEx, they know all the custom requirements for exporting/importing to Canada.

The thing is, there is a lot of shrimp hobbyists in Canada that want these unique shrimps, and its

virtually an untapped market if someone truly wants to do this.  As I said Shrimpfever in Ontario

has the market because he imports direct from Taiwan/China, but his store is only local to people

living in the General area of Toronto.  There is a huge area of Ontario that cannot get to his store,

which leaves a lot of would be hobbyists just out of luck!

That's the tricky part regarding import license in US.

As my understanding, if you import shrimp for your own enjoyment, and not to intend to resell it.

You don't need import license to import shrimp into US from foreign countries.

But you still need to clear the custom, and pay for the fees.

Shipping costs?

I have been to their shop in Taiwan.

Just beware that those pictures they posted in FB is from their show tank. The actual quality is not that great.

Shrimp Daddy that's excellent information!! Nothing better than observations from a person who's actually been there.   From their slick video promotion video (s?) I'd come to believe they were really "all that".  

Shipping costs?

I have not ordered from Yu yet but i have talked to them in the past and as far as costs are concerns here is the basic breakdown for any orders through the "proper channels" which is the only way most of the major shrimps (& aquatic) exporters do business.

First thing you have to understand is they only ship airport to airport so there is costs associated with this (more on this later)

Minimums.  It varies from exporter to exporter but generally there are minimum / fixed numbers for the amount of shrimps per bag.  Most exporters require you to order only by the number of bags (i.e. if there is 50 per bag, you must order multiplies of 50)

Some will require you to fill the box so of the box holds 20 bags, the minimum order is 20 bags.

Some will charge you a packing / box fee which is basically their fee for preparing the order for shipment, export paperwork, delivering it to the airport, etc; Sometimes it is a fixed amount (i.e $150) for up to X boxes or sometime is a rate per box.

Airline freight charges

You want to check if they can actually ship it to you; this is important as the final destination on the air waybill (AWB) is where the shipment must clear customs.  For Canada, usually this is limited to Vancouver & Toronto. 

Second, airline will have a minimum weight charge; usually around 40kg, sometimes higher @ ~ $8-9 USD / kg.  This also doesn't include things like fuel surcharges and other fees.  

Once it arrives in Canada; the local airport also have fees that are payable when you pick up the box (~ $50)

So the minimum freight charge would be something around $600-700 Canadian. 

Than there is custom clearing; if you know what you are doing, you can do all the paperwork yourself and save some money or hire professionals to do it for you.  The paperwork is a bit more involved than the one that you fill out when crossing the border by land or air.

Lastly if you are not able to pick up and clear the package in person at the port of landing (i.e. Vancouver / Toronto), you will need to find someone to not only clear for you but to re-ship to your final destination; kinda like a transhipper.  if that is the case you are usually paying an extra $100-200 for the service plus $50-100 for the extra freight charge.

Yes, most reputable exporters will have some type of DOA guarantee but this does NOT cover freight costs.  

Tommy is the only one right now in Canada that can do the volume to do regular shipments like where his orders are large enough to minimize the cost of freight. I am slowly building my business up to that point but I am not there yet so I have to rely on my network of local wholesalers / importers, breeders & transhippers to bring in my stock.  

For smaller guys like myself you have to kinda pick and choose what to bring in.  Unless you do preorders or group orders or have a investor to provide the capital, it is very tough to bring in the volume for some of the more rarer stuff with considerable risk as really the demand is not there yet.  Another factor is that the prices of pintos are dropping so fast right now; in my other line of work, you are taught that in these situations, this is where put the brakes on and tread very carefully.

My advice, if you are really want something that you can't get locally, talk to other breeders or smaller exporters.  you might be able to get them sent it via EMS or air courier. Yes it is risky...and maybe not 100% legal but it is a risk / reward thing.  Or just talk to Tommy, or myself (which you already have) to keep on eye out on things that we might be able to source from on our next order. it certainly it less riskier but might take some time.

Add-on to the minimum order caveat.

Usually the number of shrimps are worked backward from the minimum transactional price. Meaning they will only ship if the total cost of the shrimp is at the minimum amount that worth their effort to ship. For example, if you are buying cheap shrimp, the count of shrimps will have to be much more. And if you are buying high-end shrimp that cost few hundred dollars each, then you may only need to buy 20 to 50 of them.

Depending on the breeder, they may set the minimum transactional price as $5,000 to $20,000. When you hit certain amount, the breeder may even carry it in for you but really depending on the destination.

Importing shrimp is tough business.

That's why we saw dealers come and go.

The price difference between retail and wholesale is not good enough to guarantee profit.

If you're not professional shrimp keeper, chance is high that new imported shrimp dead in your tank before you are able to ship to final customers.

North America market is not big enough for massive importing, so it's very hard to push the cost down.

for example:

If you import the high end shrimp ($$$). once you get the shrimp from airport.

you have two choices.

1, re-ship it immediately, shrimp may DOA, or dead in customer's tank couple weeks later.

2. keep in your own tank for couple weeks, then re-ship. weaker ones dead in your tank. healthy ones can arrive to final customer safely. you eat the lose by yourself.

No choice is easier.

Now that's the info I wanted.  Thank you all for your honest input.  I was aware of some of these charges, but not all of them, so this makes a lot of difference.  I was not looking to resell the shrimps, just for myself.  I will probably have Tommy ship what I want to me once I move and also from Jumpsmasher.  

It also very handy to have someone's input who has seen these shrimp in person ( ShrimpyDaddy) as you never know what you are going to receive once you've paid for the order.   On the whole I have had very good luck with my shrimps that I have purchased and had shipped (Alphaprobreeders/ShrimpUSA) and also from others on this forum.

Importing shrimp is tough business.

That's why we saw dealers come and go.

The price difference between retail and wholesale is not good enough to guarantee profit.

If you're not professional shrimp keeper, chance is high that new imported shrimp dead in your tank before you are able to ship to final customers.

North America market is not big enough for massive importing, so it's very hard to push the cost down.

for example:

If you import the high end shrimp ($$$). once you get the shrimp from airport.

you have two choices.

1, re-ship it immediately, shrimp may DOA, or dead in customer's tank couple weeks later.

2. keep in your own tank for couple weeks, then re-ship. weaker ones dead in your tank. healthy ones can arrive to final customer safely. you eat the lose by yourself.

No choice is easier.

If you want long term success and be a reputable supplier; there really is no choice.  It has to be #2 always unless the customer is very impatient and understand the risks.

Even if you are a professional shrimpkeeper that is no guarantee you will not get a bad batch where the shrimps are just too stressed from shipping and and just never recover from it.  It is very common to a decent survival rate from the actual shipping but then lose your entire shipment within the quarantine period.  Neo's and summer shipments are the worst for this.  

That is the main difference between an importer / distributor / transhipper which re-ship usually within a day or two and a dealer / retailer which prep the shrimps for rehoming in the end customer tanks