Small aquarium heater recommendations

If I can get a 75w cobalt neotherm cheaper than 50w, for a ten gallon tank, which heater should I select? The heaters are the same size.

Would a 75w have to "work less" or be more efficient, or is it possible to have a slightly higher rated heater for a given tank size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get the cobalt. Been using for two months and love them. Bigger wont hurt, it will heat faster and work less.

I would get the cobalt. Been using for two months and love them. Bigger wont hurt, it will heat faster and work less.

I used to use bigger heaters as well since they heat faster, work less (efficient), and allow me the option to upsize my tank in the future. However, the thermostat fail on mine, the temp skyrocketed, and pretty much cooked a tank of of expensive plecos....huge loss.

Since then, I tend to get the recommended size for the tank. Even if the thermostat fails, it gives me more time to catch the failure before it overheats the tank. Smaller heaters take longer to heat and even if it does fail, they are typically incapable of overheating a tank past a certain point. Big heaters can quickly overheat a tank.

Better yet, using a separate temp controller or using two smaller heaters has been a nice fail safe for me

I used to use bigger heaters as well since they heat faster, work less (efficient), and allow me the option to upsize my tank in the future. However, the thermostat fail on mine, the temp skyrocketed, and pretty much cooked a tank of of expensive plecos....huge loss.

Since then, I tend to get the recommended size for the tank. Even if the thermostat fails, it gives me more time to catch the failure before it overheats the tank. Smaller heaters take longer to heat and even if it does fail, they are typically incapable of overheating a tank past a certain point. Big heaters can quickly overheat a tank.

Better yet, using a separate temp controller or using two smaller heaters has been a nice fail safe for me

I dont blame you for being gun shy with big heaters. Its only happen to me once in the last 35 years, I have been lucky.

Only happened to me once too during my 30 years in the hobby but it was a HUGE LOSS for me. Lost a large colony of L46 zebra plecos (group of 17 adults!). Extremely sad day for me. I only have 3 pairs left and won't risk that again. I am super careful nowadays with my equipment...especially when it involves certain livestock.

Looking to get an APEX in the near future to provide additional fail safes. My motto is spend the money on the right equipment before investing in livestock. I used to skimp on equipment to save up for the fish I like...after a few disasters, I changed my ways LOL

I had to use this one for my Betta who didn't like cold water (what a diva!)   Tetra mini submersible.

It worked very well and kept the water at a nice 79/80F

I have it in my 10 gallon right now cycling my tank and its steady at 79F.   Only thing is you can't turn it down....I tried the Eheim and couldn't get that thing to calibrate at all, very stiff connections and not good for someone with arthiritis in their hands.

• 3 weeks later...

Theo hydor,

very reliable and accurate heater, is great in 25W  I use it in a 2.6 G. Fluval spec III nano with great results. My house gets cool at night to the lower 60's and tank is on a dresser next to an outside wall. This heater only works when needed. I highly recommend these for 2.5 gallons and up. Nice product.