What the heck are these things?

Hi all,

I have a very well established tank, Fluval Edge, and over the past 5 years or so have introduced countless plants and such so I don't know if these are baby shrimp or what.

I have lots of different shrimp, cherry reds mostly, and when I do a water change I never just dump stuff down the drain because even though I have a fine net over my siphon I still suck up some macro life and feel bad just dumping it.

So as an experiment in May, I saw these guys zooming around the bucket and decided to see how long it would take for them to grow up and *if* they could survive life in a 5 gallon bucket with no filtration and just some live plants in the bucket and some natural light and of course food.

Fast forward 6 months and they aren't getting any bigger and frankly I'm tired of the bucket lying around, getting cold, etc. so I dumped 99% back into the tank and saved a few to figure out what they are.

Any ideas? Pics attached. This is a relatively big one at 3-4cm head to tail. You are seeing it taken under magnification.

post-3065-0-47338000-1447347376_thumb.jp

post-3065-0-42433300-1447347381_thumb.jp

post-3065-0-57072500-1447347399_thumb.jp

Cool! I've had dozens of tanks over the years salt-fresh-brackish in all shapes and sizes, but this little Fluval Edge is my favorite.

PS- My favorite substrate in this tank- agate-  is perfect for rearing fish and shrimp and even though I upgraded the lighting the agates don't seem to grow algae- maybe because they are highly polished and it can't "take root". The pebbles are big enough that stuff can get down in there and eat detritus and the babies can hide.

Thanks for the info!!!!