Sign of infection, ready to molt, or now bland next to brighter red cherries

So the female cherry I had since the beginning looks different. Her shell is looking kind of milky grey. From researching I know milky grey insides is a sign of infections, but this really looks like just the shell to me. I just wanted to get a couple more experienced opinions. Her she is...

post-152-140104498044_thumb.jpg

post-152-140104500289_thumb.jpg

post-152-140104501593_thumb.jpg

If you look closely She also has a cracked shell leading me to believe even more she is about to molt.

My GH is low, I came back from a work trip a week ago and found out my wife topped off with the wrong water (straight RO water) Causing my GH to go from 7 to 3. Over this week I have been doing 5% water changes every other day dripping the 9GH water back in. This got me to a GH of 5 Yost last night, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slow molt issue, but wanted to check.

Thank you, it would suck if she made it though all my noob mistakes to die away I think I got control/understanding of my parameters.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Kind of Hard to See the Grey In the pictures. Maybe it is Just because My newer shrimp a better reds.

I have to agree with Soothing Shrimp. How is the other shrimps? Are they moving around gracefully ? Typically with infection you would see some uneasy movement in other shrimps as well.

Ok, So my GH Keeps falling after a week. I top of with RO brought up to GH 7 using borenowild but it seems to fall. Any ideas?

Glad I'm fixing it right.

Other shrimp seem fine. But they have been in the tank only 3 days. Actually all the shrimp are much more active then they used to be. They are out in the open eating. I dropped In some Nom Nom Pumkin Delight and while there wasn't a frenzy, Some are picking at it, I have a lot of algea for them to feed on so them not frenzying is what I expected.

To my non-experience self, no one is acting Sick or lazy, even her.

Substrate: ADA Amazonia powder

I would say medium planted trying to fill in.

No Cloudyness at all. I mix the GH up well, then bubble it for an hour, double check GH to be sure, then drip in. It's defiantly a Couple hour process. luckily it's only 10 minutes of work spread over it.

I need to test PH and KH Since it's been awhile but normal is mid 6's for PH and very low KH since I only use RO water with GH up.

I need to test PH and KH Since it's been awhile but normal is mid 6's for PH and very low KH since I only use RO water with GH up.

Only use GH up in your RO water, no mineral at all ?

No, while the tank is currently just stocked with cherries, I set it up with the idea of housing Tigers which seem to prefer parameters closer to Tb's. Doing this made using a GH/KH up not possible.

I think much better. I found a successful molt in the tank yesterday, not sure if it's hers or not. But she no longer has that crack on her back and looks less grey.

Not sure what it means but her saddle is much longer then I remember it, I was hopping she would be berried after the molt but that didn't happen. 

I did what SHOULD be my last 5% water change last night using 10GH RO water, I'm double checking today but I should be in the 7-8 GH range. I thought 1 of my juveniles had died, but I touched him with the tweezers and he moved. looks like he is next to molt, it probably happened last night but I'll look around the tank when I get home tonight.

I ground up some NOM NOM Complete veggie and sprinkled a little bit in. My shrimp wont eat hard food so I am hoping a powder will get them the calcium while they are eating the bio film. Since the funds aren't available at the moment to buy new food, I figured I would just try grounding up the stuff they wont eat... Kind of like tricking kids to eat their vegs I guess.

Chris

I think much better. I found a successful molt in the tank yesterday, not sure if it's hers or not. But she no longer has that crack on her back and looks less grey.

Not sure what it means but her saddle is much longer then I remember it, I was hopping she would be berried after the molt but that didn't happen. 

I did what SHOULD be my last 5% water change last night using 10GH RO water, I'm double checking today but I should be in the 7-8 GH range. I thought 1 of my juveniles had died, but I touched him with the tweezers and he moved. looks like he is next to molt, it probably happened last night but I'll look around the tank when I get home tonight.

I ground up some NOM NOM Complete veggie and sprinkled a little bit in. My shrimp wont eat hard food so I am hoping a powder will get them the calcium while they are eating the bio film. Since the funds aren't available at the moment to buy new food, I figured I would just try grounding up the stuff they wont eat... Kind of like tricking kids to eat their vegs I guess.

Chris

That is good to hear, Now Also careful with the amount of water change. Don't do it daily and do it very small amount. Water changes will stimulate them to molt.

That is good to hear, Now Also careful with the amount of water change. Don't do it daily and do it very small amount. Water changes will stimulate them to molt.

Yup, the only reason I was doing it every other day was to get my GH back up after it fell down to 3 for some reason.

The Juvie died last night, most likely from me trying to get my GH back up. Sad but better 1 death then all of them dying trying to molt.

Still, I'm starting to get extremely frustrated. My 6 gallon plants are dying and not filling in because I'm trying to keep the shrimp happy. It getting over ran with string algea even though i have a 5 hour photo cycle.

And the shrimp are still not happy.

And my 15 gallon Is still 2 weeks from getting filled, then at least a month for cycling. The filters I am attempting to get bacteria in to quicken the cycle is most likely just going to bring string algea over. And finances won't allow me to afford the moss for the new tank.

All I can do is try my best to keep everything surviving at best.

Chris

Have you ever though of using salty shrimp? I used to use what to u do and didn't like it. Switched and my shrimp do fine and stable parameters,

-Chris

Have you ever though of using salty shrimp? I used to use what to u do and didn't like it. Switched and my shrimp do fine and stable parameters,

-Chris

I have, that's what I originally was going to get but switched for the GH up because of price. It seems like everyone is using SS, and when most hobbiest and store are not only selling it but using it that usually means something. I may have to look into getting SS next month.

Chris