Best filter for shrimp?

Hi everyone, so I'm starting a new 10 gallon shrimp only tank, and I was wondering what type of filter works best. Currently I use HOB and mini canister filters, I do believe they have been sucking up some babies though. Would sponge filter be my best bet? I don't want it to be loud or spray water (when the bubbles pop on the surface) What would work the best? Suggestions?

I would continue using what you have, just add a Stainless Steel Filter Guard. All filters have their ups and downs. 

I use the Penguin 100B on my 20 gallon tanks and 150B on a 29 gallon tank .

I don't use bio wheel because found it got stuck .   I just use it to circulate water and keep either Sea-Chem Purigen or Bio-Marine poly-filter pads in them which I SOAK 24 hours in container of tank water BEFORE placing in filter .

Like others I highly recommend Hans filter intake guards .

Easy to attach, they stay on don't fall off and you wont lose baby shrimp.

post-74-0-63968400-1449708719_thumb.jpg

What's your budget? I built my HMF for $6, granted i had a bunch of other parts lying around. But for around $20 you can male your own HMF. $6 for foam, $2 for sponge filter, a few bucks for some tubing and $10 for an air pump.

Ohh, sounds interesting. I have tubing, sponge filter and the air pump already. Where can I get the other parts? I already have credit for Petsmart so I was going to get a HOB filter, but this sounds pretty good.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Reticulated-Open-Cell-Foam-Sponge-Filter-Media-Aquarium-Fish-HMF-Sump-11-Fine-/281796095415?nav=SEARCH

They have different sizes on their page. I've got the green 35ppi running in my new tank i just set up and I've got that 45ppi waiting on a second tank.

I get my matten filter pads from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/261975453225?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560783202920&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  

That one is only 12 bucks.  I use one of these pumps http://www.ebay.com/itm/53-710-GPH-Submersible-Pump-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Fountain-Water-Hydroponic-/281540553477?var=&hash=item418d1feb05:m:mxOp-hm2eFwSKYSc7fFhUFA

For about $7  And I run the water to a home made spray bar.  I have other Matten's that I run the water out through a hole in the filter pad below substrage level (as low as the pump will allow -- and vent the water across the tank in a pile of pummice/lava stone.  

It's got a ton of surface area for the shrimp to feed.  I have not needed to clean any of mine ever as they are biological filters, not mechanical collectors.  The longest running is over two years.    The shrimp preferentially feed on the sponge because it's a huge grazing area.  

Using a pump with a matten give silent filtration (unless the water level drops below the spray bar).  If you use a below substate system like I mentioned you also need an air outlet to break the surface of the water with bubbles.  I use glass tubing for that because it's easily formed to go where I want (blow torch) and stays there.   

I've got 16 tanks with mattens and together they take less work than the one tank with 2 canister filters.    I say Matten for the win.