is this way of tank cycle make sense?

eternalc

hi, new here.

so, my sis got herself a shrimp tank the other day. she asked the shop guy to do everything. here's the story.

for a 12 gal tank, the guy put a layer of ADA amazonia, scattered a layer of bacteria powder, then another layer of amazonia. then, poured some purifier or some sorts on the amazonia. and thats it.

he said to leave it under the light for 6 hours a day for 3 days. after that, he said she can start arrange the rocks and putting water in and cycle it for another 21 days.

after that, do a 50% water change and test the water and throw in some nutrient liquid and then she can put in the shrimps and plants.

opinions anyone?

edit: during the 21 days he said that there's no need for water changes. he said that this tank was set up specifically for shrimp

sounds right to me

what bacteria powder and what purifier?

hey! thanks for the reply. i'm not too sure about what bacteria and purifier exactly, but he says that its for the bacterial growth that is essential for the water. purifier i'm not sure whats that for.

its comes as a surprise for me as i'm on a planted tank for the no changing water part for 21 days straight and only do 50% on the day before putting in the shrimp. so i'm a little bit worried for her in case anything goes wrong. 

hey! thanks for the reply. i'm not too sure about what bacteria and purifier exactly, but he says that its for the bacterial growth that is essential for the water. purifier i'm not sure whats that for.

its comes as a surprise for me as i'm on a planted tank for the no changing water part for 21 days straight and only do 50% on the day before putting in the shrimp. so i'm a little bit worried for her in case anything goes wrong. 

You could wait 2 weeks after the 21 day water change .

I wait 30 days , do water change wait two weeks do another water change and than I'm ready because better safe than sorry .

Looks like a great start. Ultimately it comes down to water parameters and what your trying to achieve. As noted, be patient, and after 4 weeks or so, test your water parameters.

hi, new here.

so, my sis got herself a shrimp tank the other day. she asked the shop guy to do everything. here's the story.

for a 12 gal tank, the guy put a layer of ADA amazonia, scattered a layer of bacteria powder, then another layer of amazonia. then, poured some purifier or some sorts on the amazonia. and thats it.

he said to leave it under the light for 6 hours a day for 3 days. after that, he said she can start arrange the rocks and putting water in and cycle it for another 21 days.

after that, do a 50% water change and test the water and throw in some nutrient liquid and then she can put in the shrimps and plants.

opinions anyone?

edit: during the 21 days he said that there's no need for water changes. he said that this tank was set up specifically for shrimp

Actually sounds very good. I think you are lucky to have a place that sells ADA anything, and seems to know what they are doing. I have started a journey using this method if you are interested, read through till the second page to see the cycle starting to take shape.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/4796-river-garden-nursery-new-display-and-rack-setup/