Taiwan bee feeding

dao

I have a heavily planted TB/hybrid tank which is pretty much my first try on TB. What surprises me is that they do not show a lot of interested in commercialized food.

I tried several brands now, and the reaction is pretty much the same for all of them - sometimes they ignore it, sometimes they will start eating, but after a 5-10mins they usually leave. And it always takes a significant amount of time to attract them inside the feeding bowl. It seems that they are much more interested in the plants and kale which I occasionally add, then the food sticks. Is this normal or should I be worried ?

They are in my tank for around two months, and they grow very slowly, which is why I would be happy to see them eat more ;)

Ive had the same experience with my TBs. They hardly pay any attention to any food i add to the tank. I keep trying different kinds but nothing seems to excite them. A few bites and they move on. My neos and tigers fight over and devour almost any food that i put in their tank.

Thanks, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Another question, maybe silly but still I would like to know - Can you just dry the uneaten food sticks and put them back in another day ?

I have to dose them large enough so that the shrimp can't get them out of the feeding bowl, but since I have just 15 shrimp, of which 8 are hybrids they hardly manage to eat anything.

If I would just leave it inside I'm afraid I'm risking overfeeding the hybrids which do actually like the food.

I'm sure you'll receive other responses from more experienced folks, but I started with small numbers making one stick too much for my population. I also had read some opinions that powdered food minimized 'food fights' so I stick my food in the blender and now feed it powdered. First I mix it with some tank water in a cup so it sinks, then pour it in. It is easier for me to control amounts and I can mix a small amount and share it between tanks if I want further reducing what they are getting at one time.

You

Thanks, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Another question, maybe silly but still I would like to know - Can you just dry the uneaten food sticks and put them back in another day ?

I have to dose them large enough so that the shrimp can't get them out of the feeding bowl, but since I have just 15 shrimp, of which 8 are hybrids they hardly manage to eat anything.

If I would just leave it inside I'm afraid I'm risking overfeeding the hybrids which do actually like the food.

You most likely have enough bio-film. As the population increases so will the need for commercial food. I have observed that shrimp will prefer bio-film over commercial when they have the choice. I had the same concerns when I first started and my tanks population was small.

How large is the aquarium? If they love Kale, have you tried and commercialized/manufactured kale pads/sticks/pellets/etc.?

The tank is 8 gallon. Didn't try manufactured kale since they are already eating the dried kale, so there would be no change in nutrition just in the way it is being served, right ?

The tank is 8 gallon. Didn't try manufactured kale since they are already eating the dried kale, so there would be no change in nutrition just in the way it is being served, right ?

Not necessarily, the benefit of manufactured foods are the additional vitamins, nutrients, and minerals that can be compounded together. What foods have you tried already?