Unusual Ghost shrimp

Louie

Few months ago I netted some tiny ghost shrimp for my darters .

All were eaten but one who is white/yellow with a grey stripe down his head and tinges of red on his tail .

Initially I thought it was a shedding Ghost shrimp but it has remained this color and has grown larger than other ghost shrimps .

He is to big now to be eaten and ignored which works for me .  He will eat other tiny ghost shrimp which I add to tank now and than.

post-74-0-07513600-1452666953_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-16390000-1452666971_thumb.jpg

Maybe a different type of long-armed shrimp? I've heard they get mixed in with ghost shrimp as they're somewhat indistinguishable as juveniles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also had ghost shrimp turn white/yellowish/greyish right before they die...

Oh ok  that makes sense . He has been this way for awhile but perhaps just old .

I never had any last with the darters so that is possible .

Oh ok that makes sense . He has been this way for awhile but perhaps just old .

I never had any last with the darters so that is possible .

It looks like it judging by the pictures. They get a cloudy, almost milky look.

that usually means they are nearing a natural death, it can happen weeks or months before they die.

the red dots on its tail is a recessive gene I think, I see it alot in stores but never could get it in my tanks.

the red hue throughout is a thing in wild ghosts that I'm trying to breed to be darker.

that usually means they are nearing a natural death, it can happen weeks or months before they die.

the red dots on its tail is a recessive gene I think, I see it alot in stores but never could get it in my tanks.

the red hue throughout is a thing in wild ghosts that I'm trying to breed to be darker.

Thanks a lot this was very informative .

You know I have noticed ''color''  as far as some type hue in ghost shrimps depending on what part of Florida they are caught in.

Most I catch by Tamiami trail across the water dam past the bullfrog farm but the one's I have caught in canals have some ''hues'' that the pond types lack .

It looks like it judging by the pictures. They get a cloudy, almost milky look.

Yes that's it .  I had no idea that ghost would stay that way for months and thus thought an unusual color morph or not a ghost shrimp.

I keep orange throat and brown darters which I usually feed thawed blood worms and cherry shrimp culls but sometimes when I go fishing by Glades I net ghost shrimp and throw them in.

This one simply lived a long time and got to big for the darters to bother it .