Shrimp swimming around?

KalElx

Hi there,

Last night and today I've noticed some of my shrimp swimming around the tank. Up, down, side to side. I have seen them swim just not this much.

I thought something may be wrong so I tested the water and everything seems great. I actually had 2 shrimps have lil' shrimpies and I can already start seeing them coming out (they had them about 4 days ago) Both moms actually even molted a day after. So seems pretty legit.

The only thing I can think of is that 2 days ago, I transferred the 2 endler fish I had in there with them because I didn't want them eating the babies. Maybe the shrimp are happy the fish are gone and are displaying normal behavior? No clue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Exactly what svetilda said, Shrimp Dance! This happens usually after a molt, the female releases pheromones that the male begins frantically looking for. This is when you see almost the entire tank of shrimp swimming around.

Yes agree, love is probably in the air and time for the "shrimp dance".  Females are also allowed some fun so it's not just the males that to the dancing once the love vibe spreads :)

Lol never mind, they are still doing it.

Not much I can do if there is something wrong. Tested the water again and everything seems great.

I did add some water lettuce last week and they seem to always end up there, so maybe that's where they are swimming to but have sh*tty aim? Lol

Super cute seeing them go though.

I tend to agree with the whole "hormone dance" thing, however I have a tank with neos and tigers and they have been dancers from the start. Everyone is happy and healthy, and in the same water as the rest of the system, they just swim more than the others. (My theory is that they know they are special and like showing off) ;)