I upgraded my foam inserts for double sponge filter

monty703

I have a couple of these double sponge filters in my tanks and they tend to clog a lot, and so I decided to try something

different to increase the biofilm on them as I like the setup but not the actual sponges.

I stopped in to my local LFS and purchased the Aquaclear #70 foam insert. $3.99 box

I cut the sponge in half and them cut a hole down the middle for the tube part to go into.  Rounded off the edges so it fits better (you can rotate it better too) and now have it in my plant tank to get seeded before going into my shrimp tank.

I am also using a Laguna powerflo 4500 foam insert as a mattenfilter in my 20 gallon long plant tank.  It has great surface

area for biofilm to accumulate and is just as cheap as poret. 

smallpicfilter.jpg

I didn't cut the sponge all that exact (first try) but you get the picture. It fits perfectly over the tubes and after a few days/week in the tank it should have a good start on biofilm.  This tank doesn't have anything but snails in it, and other sponges that I keep seeded.

4$ seems like more than the cost of a whole new filter. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056XVF82?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage(Warning: takes a long time to show up)

Is this filter material better than a default filter?

Also, can you squeeze out an old foam filter into a new foam filter to jump start the new one? I would figure that would work, am I missing something? Make me wonder if you can reduce new tank startup time by filling the new tanks with water from an established tank, during the established tank's water change.

Well, established water is not good water. heh  Most bacteria live on surfaces.

However I have mulm bombed tanks or just inside a bucket and run filters to get them established.  I also have switched one side out for an established one, while the other is starting.

Yes for those of you in the US that would not be a bargain, but for us in Canada we pay a lot more for this filter setup. If we order it we have huge shipping costs as well.  Last one I purchased from an Asian Fish store cost me over $15 for it...so my replacement sponges are more economical as we can't buy the sponges separately here.

I also switch out one sponge while the other is being seeded.  As soothing pointed out old tank water not a good idea, but keeping sponges in another tank that's been running for a while is a good idea as then you can just pull it out and start up a new tank with a sponge that's already full of biofilm.

Yes for those of you in the US that would not be a bargain, but for us in Canada we pay a lot more for this filter setup. If we order it we have huge shipping costs as well. Last one I purchased from an Asian Fish store cost me over $15 for it...so my replacement sponges are more economical as we can't buy the sponges separately here.

I also switch out one sponge while the other is being seeded. As soothing pointed out old tank water not a good idea, but keeping sponges in another tank that's been running for a while is a good idea as then you can just pull it out and start up a new tank with a sponge that's already full of biofilm.

I can understand why, I've had alot of people from Canada want the shrimp food. It only cost 1$ more to ship there. People like to gouge people just because of where you guys are.

How does alibaba treat you in .ca? They are probably selling exactly the same filter I bought from amazon only I'm sure it is insanely cheaper from them.

Or find an American buddy then have them ship you filters and in exchange you ship them affordable health care.

• 3 weeks later...