Shrimp is dying after releasing babies

svetilda

I have a not good day today. Yesterday one of my first neo's died. Today in the morning I found an oto on the floor. Now in the same tank that the oto was I see a strange behaving TT female.

I'm pretty sure that the TT is one that was still berried yesterday and I see small babies (not sure if they are hers or they're cherry babies, she was berried since Dec.24th) and a big molt (it may be not hers but all others females are berried and the molt is big). She was trying to swim to the top of the tank but looks like she didn't have enough power and was falling down. I cought her and put in a separate jar and she looks like paralized. She doesn't move but doesn't look dead either.

When I only started shrimping I had same happened. It was a big mother neo (I bought her berried) who released her babies, molted and I returned her to  tank. Next day I found her dead. Because I was (still is) to shrimp keeping I decided she was probably old.

Now I don't know what to think. The TT shrimp was not old. I bought them from James in November. I always had a hard time to find all 10 of them in my tank in plants but I know for sure that I lost at least one and could count 7-8 during feeding time. I didn't change anything in the tank except added distilled water yesterday (it was not same brand that I always buy but even opened bottled that I use before). Before I went to sleep I've decided that the water level was too high and took some water out. That's it. The neos in the tank and the rest of TT's that I can see look and behave fine for now. All water parameters are fine and same as usual.

Any ideas what could happen to the TT?

My tank is 3g. I'm not sure how much water I added but it was nothing unusual, maybe 0,5l using a turkey baster (adding little by little).

Nitrate around 0

Nitrite 0

gh 150

kh 80-90

ph 7.2-7.4

TDS 210

It was my first shrimp tank started last April. Planted, mopani wood, cholla wood, small sponge filter (think it's time to wash it again) that I added another sponge to it, about 10 adult neos, their babies (I just sold juvvies), and around 7 TT. I vacuum it every week (I forgot the name of the substrate but it's inert black one from Petco or Petsmart for plants - will check the name later). I mixed distilled and tap water and add Shizhen. No new food/supplements were used lately. About 3-4 days ago added a little bit of Shield (I add it sometimes, maybe once a month).

I hope it's not my water. We went on vacation and came home last Sunday. I cleaned my TB/mischling tank first, yesterday added water to that 3g tank with cherries and TT, and today cleaned mischling/RW/CRS baby tank. But in that 3g tank I only added pure distilled water yesterday and cleaned it last week before we went to vacation.

Another TT died today :-( and one more behaving strange, put it in a jar.

Added and IAL, alder cones (4 or 3?), bacter ball (a half of it), gave the shrimp some pollen. So far all of the cherries look fine.

I hope it's not my water. We went on vacation and came home last Sunday. I cleaned my TB/mischling tank first, yesterday added water to that 3g tank with cherries and TT, and today cleaned mischling/RW/CRS baby tank. But in that 3g tank I only added pure distilled water yesterday and cleaned it last week before we went to vacation.

Now this is a long shot but in the distillation process I've heard that massive copper coils are used to cool the steam back down to liquid, like you would see on a moonshine still.  Could you have copper? One reason why I don't like really small tanks is because it doesn't take much to drastically change water conditions and it happen so fast.

Thank you, sarah! I just bought bags for purigen today and will add it to the tank.

Can you get some purigen and/or charcoal into your filter?

It maybe true but the water I used was from open jar that I used a week before.

I'm agree with on the tank size! I wish I could have a bigger tank but it's not happenning at least in the near future.

Now this is a long shot but in the distillation process I've heard that massive copper coils are used to cool the steam back down to liquid, like you would see on a moonshine still.  Could you have copper? One reason why I don't like really small tanks is because it doesn't take much to drastically change water conditions and it happen so fast.

I was thinking can it be a drop in temperature? We went on vacation, turned our heater off. I don't have any heaters in my tanks. When my DH came home, he said temperature in our house was 60. It could be a bit colder at night. But I was sure that shrimp will be fine at that temperatures for a few days. We weren't home only 3 days. When I checked the tanks every shrimp was very slow but then they got back to their usual activities.

Thank you, sarah! I just bought bags for purigen today and will add it to the tank.

It maybe true but the water I used was from open jar that I used a week before.

I'm agree with on the tank size! I wish I could have a bigger tank but it's not happenning at least in the near future.

I was thinking can it be a drop in temperature? We went on vacation, turned our heater off. I don't have any heaters in my tanks. When my DH came home, he said temperature in our house was 60. It could be a bit colder at night. But I was sure that shrimp will be fine at that temperatures for a few days. We weren't home only 3 days. When I checked the tanks every shrimp was very slow but then they got back to their usual activities.

not sure if it be the temps. I have had shrimp arrive at 57 degrees and Im guessing they were in those kind of for couple of days.

Did you raise the temp back up slowly?

I don't know if it was slowly but when we came home we turned the heater on on 68. I was checking the temperature in the tanks it was going up slowly (I think so), not like it was back to 70 in 1 hour.

And I really don't think it was the temperature drop either... but it's something new and unusual that came to my head.