Why is my Cherry Shrimp swimming crazy?

KalElx

Hello!!

I'd like some advice please. One of my female Cherry Shrimp is swimming around like a crazy maniac. She's just swimming laps around the tank non-stop for hours now. She's not going up to the surface or anything, just seems to be looking for something. She's not grazing either.

I know males do a dance but this is def a female because of saddle, color and size. Perhaps she's ready to be berried and also has a dance?

I had a shrimp death a couple days ago but this shrimp wasn't doing well since the tank switch I did almost 2 weeks ago. I figured she wouldn't make it so it wasn't a surprise.

All other shrimp seem fine. I have many babies and they are all grazing and eating. Heck even my CRS is acting normal and they are harder to maintain.

I do confess that my ammonia level is 0.3 (which I believe is too low to have negative impact) nitrites are 0, nitrates are 0 - 5 and pH is 6.6. No temperature issues either. The tank is pretty heavily planted.

Actually, now that I'm posting, any idea why my water is staying at 0.3 for ammonia? I've been doing almost daily 10 - 20% water changes and dosing with Prime but it never goes down. It's been like this for about a week.

I don't overfeed, I already made that mistake as a beginner so never again. Heck, I don't even feed everyday to make sure it doesn't happen. I also keep up with plant maintenance.

Anyways, she was fine until today. I did notice an adult molt and a few baby molts in the tank while doing my water change earlier if that makes a difference.

All fish are acting normal too.

Thanks for the help.

Oooo. Neat!! Thanks for that.

I clean and do small water changes for my tank every week and so I thought it was strange it was showing ammonia levels. I use Prime when adding new ceatures to the tank to supply them with a destresser, as it says on the bottle. Who knows, maybe this is the problem. I will go out and buy their ammonia test kit and see what happens.

It is odd, however, because my other smaller tank never had that same issue?

As for the shrimp it was because I had to switch all of them to my other tank because of an issue I was having with the tank they were in (I'm on my way to restarting that tank completely anyways). The shrimp had just had lil' wee ones and was probably too stressed with the move and this is why I think it died. It wasn't active from the get go in the new home. Sucks!

So update on what's going on...

It looks likes few of them are doing this now and the female that was yesterday is nowhere to be found.

It's just getting a little frustrating because as soon as I think I'm getting the shrimp hobby right, something goes wrong. :(

So update on what's going on...

It looks likes few of them are doing this now and the female that was yesterday is nowhere to be found.

It's just getting a little frustrating because as soon as I think I'm getting the shrimp hobby right, something goes wrong. :(

I know this doesn't fix anything, but please know that you are not alone. In the past year of watching this forum I've seen both newbies and experts frustrated by one thing or another. I could be wrong, and maybe some of those long experienced folks will chime in, but it seems like no matter how long you've been doing this, shrimp are indicator species in a complex system. Which means that there are countless things that can go wrong and take us by surprise. The experts I believe, try to use those things to expand their knowledge base and move on.

I know this doesn't fix anything, but please know that you are not alone. In the past year of watching this forum I've seen both newbies and experts frustrated by one thing or another. I could be wrong, and maybe some of those long experienced folks will chime in, but it seems like no matter how long you've been doing this, shrimp are indicator species in a complex system. Which means that there are countless things that can go wrong and take us by surprise. The experts I believe, try to use those things to expand their knowledge base and move on.

I really appreciate the response. Some days it feels like I'm the only one in the hobby getting everything wrong, this helps me remember that I'm not alone. I have 2 dogs, a cat, fish and shrimp. I researched every single animal and continue to learn to be able to give them the best homes I can provide. Which is why sometimes when something goes wrong, it really bums me out. Shrimps for some reason are interesting to me and I'm not about to quit (even though sometimes I feel like it).

Here is a pic of my current tank they are in just to make things a little more personal.

post-3390-0-01321300-1454978009_thumb.jp