WTB female scarlet badis.

Mr. F

It's very hard to find these fish in any LFS because they're all males! The less dominant males are usually misidentified as females and sold as such. Anybody have a stock of badis and willing to part with 2-3 females?

Thanks shrimpers!

I believe I have acquired a female. I will only know once I throw a male in there and see if they breed or if this one colors up in the presence of another fish.

I plan to keep hitting up the LFS and buying the dullest, no stripes, dario dario they have. Apparently I'm not the only one thinking this as the owner says on delivery day there are a bunch of people doing this exact thing.

With the number of people looking for females I would think there would be some sites on line gouging by setting the price on females 2x+ that of males. All I can find is "we cannot guaranty any of these will be female"

If I knew how to post pics I'd post a pic of it.

The LFS got a batch in and there was one female that sold before I got there. I picked up 2 males for the female and will wait for next shipment.

The reason that there are only males on the market is that the males are pretty and the females are drab. This is like bettas at the local big box where almost all are male.

post-3374-0-75530300-1455731953_thumb.jp

The LFS got a batch in and there was one female that sold before I got there. I picked up 2 males for the female and will wait for next shipment.

The reason that there are only males on the market is that the males are pretty and the females are drab. This is like bettas at the local big box where almost all are male.

Oh I see but would still think some wise dealer would get some females as they seem in demand .

At least you can buy female bettas .

I looked them up and seems some say they only take live food but others have luck with non live .

Oh I see but would still think some wise dealer would get some females as they seem in demand .

At least you can buy female bettas .

I looked them up and seems some say they only take live food but others have luck with non live .

I feed my males frozen blood worms and they love it, but i have to shave it very thin with a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frozen blood worms here too.

I understand it may lead to obesity but fresh from the LFS it should bulk them up for breeding and to recover from being at a fish shop.

I do not trust fish that require live food when it comes to fish shops. Or vegetarian food for that matter, starving otos at the petsmart for an example.

Yeah, I'd think someone would be gouging, looking at demand. Of course once that happens it is only a few months/years before the market crashes like it did way back with dubois and yellow labidiochromis (both went from 25-35$ each to 3$ as people began breeding them for profit.. actually the dubois might have been 50$+).

For profit I consider setting up a 40+ macrostoma tank in a closet.

Frozen blood worms here too.

I understand it may lead to obesity but fresh from the LFS it should bulk them up for breeding and to recover from being at a fish shop.

I do not trust fish that require live food when it comes to fish shops. Or vegetarian food for that matter, starving otos at the petsmart for an example.

Yeah, I'd think someone would be gouging, looking at demand. Of course once that happens it is only a few months/years before the market crashes like it did way back with dubois and yellow labidiochromis (both went from 25-35$ each to 3$ as people began breeding them for profit.. actually the dubois might have been 50$+).

For profit I consider setting up a 40+ macrostoma tank in a closet.

I just looked up macrostoma and very nice . Have never heard of them .

Why in a closet , they breed in darkness ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yXis1Jg38sE/UWAWwyb7kwI/AAAAAAAAAx4/5wXXDVJa5ao/s1600/betta_macrostoma_1.jpg

I just looked up macrostoma and very nice . Have never heard of them .

Why in a closet , they breed in darkness ?

As I understand once they breed if the male gets startled in any way they tend to swallow the eggs. So people like to wrap the tank in black velvet to keep the fish from seeing anything that might startle them. They even leave the female in even though she may pick on the male.

So as I have a walkway behind a wall I figured a tank could be stuffed there and the fish would never get startled.

As I understand once they breed if the male gets startled in any way they tend to swallow the eggs. So people like to wrap the tank in black velvet to keep the fish from seeing anything that might startle them. They even leave the female in even though she may pick on the male.

So as I have a walkway behind a wall I figured a tank could be stuffed there and the fish would never get startled.

Do the  macrostoma males always look as nice as on sites or that is just mating color ?

Never heard of these fish ,

was looking at a gallery and very pretty with varied colors .

The ones at the LFS (betta dedicated) were in mason jars and they looked just like that. They were pairs (separate jars) for 200$ per pair (sold out within the day). They really have me thinking of a 40+ full of old coconut shells/small pots maybe with some scuds living at the bottom as food. the 4.0 PH is kind of scary, it sounds like they like it below 6 to breed.

So I have located a dealer that will be getting a shipment of scarlet badis on Thursday. The owner really knows his stuff and has been able to come thru on some very nice, high-demand exotics in the past. Once he got me a beautiful breeding pair of peacock gudgeons the day after I asked for only $25! A while back, he got me a group of 8 Pygmy corys (Corydoras pygmaeus) when they just hit the market and were impossible to find, $5 each! He hasn't failed me once and only now did I get a chance to ask him (the place is about an hour in a direction I rarely go). So he told me the shipments he gets usually are about 50/50, but last time it was all males. I was concerned that this may be a sign he won't see any females in the next batch; however, he had more optimism about than I. I'm not sure what made him so sure, but he seemed to think he would definitely have a large portion of fems. They're $6 a piece and I'm considering going down on Thursday morning to buy him out.

Now here's the issue: I know a lot of you would be interested in one or two, but I have never shipped fish before...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I randomly "found a guy" many years ago and I was able to get them through him for a few consecutive years just by randomly emailing him. I'll try it again lol

I'm beginning to suspect my "female scarlet badis" is actually some other badis. I don't think it is badis badis as I had a male of those years ago.

It is 2" long now. This seems too big.

I got 6 more dario dario Monday in "an assortment of male and female" I'm not sure if any of those are females all of them are more colorful that the questionable fish I own.

EDIT: On checking google images my female scarlet badis definitely appears to be a female Badis Badis so I may have to take it back. :(