shrimplet survivalrate less then 10%

nuri

Goodafternoon fellow shrimplovers

I need some advice to get my shrimplet survivalrate up :)

the tank had been recycled for 4 weeks and is running now for about 7 months.

substrate: akadama

it is a 50 L tank with 15 spotted heads + 2 taiwan bees in it ( to keep taiwan bee blood line in the group)

i feed:

dennerle shrimpking complete every 3 days

bacter ae everyday

CSF zemelenpouder  everyday or 2

csf nettle sticks 

some more products (forgot the name)

have catappa leaves in it 

i do every 2 weeks waterchange of estimated 20%

i use reversed osmose of 250 microsiemens (us) for waterchange and the aquariumwater is 290 us.

waterparameters:

NO3 = 0

NO2 = 0

GH = between 4 and 5

KH = 1,5

PH = 6

chlorine = 0

PO4 = 0 (it didnt turn blue)

the shrimplets first died in the first weeks then i changed the food diet now they dissapear when they are around 1 month old.

the temperature was 25 degrees i have lowered it down to 21 degrees since last week.

15 spotted heads and 2 taiwan bee's

(Caridina)

I had tons of zebra pinto shrimplets unfortunetly they all died....

All taiwan bee shrimolets die, i havent even raised 1 to mature in thus tank.

I do have couple almost mature crystal red smily raised up but thats it...

Seems like a lot of food for so few shrimps. I feed less than that, and less frequently, for a 10 gallon with probably close to a couple hundred shrimp.

Also, what are you using to test your nitrates? And how are you remineralizing your RO water? I am not sure how to convert your µS to TDS.

Are you dripping in your water changes?

I hate that product 

thats's odd, it's surely one of the most popular foods around and is excellent for TB young.

a quick stir on the surface usually sinks most of it, my shrimp also grab it from the surface..

I think the two most important aspects to a shrimplets survival is oxygenated water and food. Food not meaning drop in a pellet and hope they eat, but being able to deliver the food to a place where the shrimplet feels confident enough to eat and not be crushed by adults. That is our challenge, I started a couple months ago using Lowkeys Double Speed to pinpoint food distribution with a pipette. Seems to have helped get the food to where it needs to be, but the most important piece I added was a Choice Bubbler that helped increased oxygenation within my water.

Adding extra oxygenation made a HUGE difference for baby shrimp survival in my tiger tank. And I mean huge difference. In a 20 long i had only a sponge filter with very few babies surviving, probably around 10% like you. I added a large airstone and i saw a large uptick in the amount of babies around the tank. Id suggest adding an airstone or something else to add oxygenation.

airstone does not add oxygen it helps the gas exchange on the surface, to have a better benefit i use oxydator restocked with 6% H2O2 . 

i want to thank all you guys for the effort.

have you guys had the feeling that all baby shrimps were dead but 1 month later they show up....... that is prety much what happened to me today i turn the light up and i see a prety grown up pinto zebra between the moss.

he must have a good hidingspot lol

i reminilaze RO from 4 tds till 160 and my tank is 184 tds

i dont over feed right? atleast i am not noticing it....

everyday baxter ae 

every 2 or 3 days a pellet of food 

every 2 or 3 days small bit of CSF zemelenpouder (babyfood)

oh yeah btw: i have also roughly 20 neo's grown up in it (came as a shrimplet with the moss when i transfered it to this tank)

How much bactor ae are you feeding? Maybe its just me but when i first started using bactor ae i easily used too much. I started using the skewer technique and the tanks seem to be doing better. I also try to dip the skewer where all the babies hang out or in piles of moss where there may be hiding babies.

it is a 50 or 60 L tank and i dose between 1/2 to 1/4 of the spoon.

overfeeding bacter ae cant harm the conditions right?

1/2 to much.

Using the recommended dosage that is printed on the jar is a bad thing. I Learned the hard way and struggled with maintaining proper water parameters, nasty things like hydra and planaria enjoyed it. I now use a little bit once a week and no more nitrate, tds and nasty creature problems. I dissolve AE in a glass and use a 12 inch long pipette to spot dose where I think babies might be hanging out.

airstone does not add oxygen it helps the gas exchange on the surface, to have a better benefit i use oxydator restocked with 6% H2O2 .

i want to thank all you guys for the effort.

have you guys had the feeling that all baby shrimps were dead but 1 month later they show up....... that is prety much what happened to me today i turn the light up and i see a prety grown up pinto zebra between the moss.

he must have a good hidingspot lol

i reminilaze RO from 4 tds till 160 and my tank is 184 tds

i dont over feed right? atleast i am not noticing it....

everyday baxter ae

every 2 or 3 days a pellet of food

every 2 or 3 days small bit of CSF zemelenpouder (babyfood)

oh yeah btw: i have also roughly 20 neo's grown up in it (came as a shrimplet with the moss when i transfered it to this tank)

Thanks nuri for the info, I stand corrected of airstone vs gas exchange vs oxygen. I love learning new things. In the end though, for me the addition of the airstone made a very noticeable increase in the survival of babies.

I agree with targeted feeding of fine baby foods, I use a 20 ml syringe that got a 12 inch hard plastic 4 mm tube I spread it to all the common areas glass dish almond leafs etc, Oxygen is also another I agree on, but there's another to consider does the soil have a build up of bad bacteria for babies graze on the soil from about 10 days and with lots of moulting I believe there vunerable , I have upped my use of beemax and increased water changes with matched water my survival is great