Shrimps are dying fast

Daneland

Hello guys

I am afraid I have a major problem.My shrimps are dying.Today I pulled 4 of them from the tank,this week probably more than 10.

All water parameters are fine 0 ammonia,0 nitrite,5 nitrate.212 TDS,6.4 pH.Besides there are rili shrimps they are not sensitive shrimps to water parameters.

They become very inactive ,sluggish and disappear until I look for them and pulled from the tank.

I notice they become a few of them had become kinda frosty looking before they died ; not all of them though.

There has been some problems with breeding but recently I saw one (and only) berried shrimp form rilis.But there were no dead shrimps on the floor.

I guess it has been going on for now I think but has become much faster.

I have not added any plant for  a very long time ,we dont use any pesticides ,hair spray etc at home.

I think it could be a slow poisoning or infection.

The interesting detail there are some tiger shrimps I have not noticed a dead tiger and their numbers are stable (I guess )

I will use tetracycline for infection and if it doesnot help I guess I will remove everything from the tank will change substrate ( pond soil and cat litter)

Any ideas

post-3259-0-06521800-1455368468_thumb.jp

It has been a year or more since first set up and shrimp are my breds ,they were born in to the tank ( added tigers 3-4 months ago may be more)

Tap rainwater mix.Rainwater comes from gutter ,I will stop using them.

gh is 5 (too low !?!?) 

I thought about pH and checked the internet it says it should be all right ?! Too confused

Do you have a copper test? Poly-Filter is also a good way to test for metals because of its ability to change color depending on what metals are in the water and will pull out contaminants like purigen. Where are you from? You could have some type of acid rain that contained pollutants?

I guess it is rainwater.I will do %80 WC with RO + tap mix (same TDS) over a few hours slowly. And another 50% maybe in 3-4 days.

Thanks for you replies

How much % WC??? 80% then 50%? Be careful! Don't do more than 25% at a time a let it recover a bit before doing another or you may notice a slow decline in tank health until it becomes microbially reestablished.

The white on the shell may indicate a molting death, but your params look alright so it does sound more like a heavy metals problem. You could purchase a chelation agent to remove them. However, I'd recommend 10% WCs every 2-3 days for a week or two using RO/DI water, making sure to remineralize it to 4-8 GH (which is where you're about at) and around 80-200 ppm TDS. Also you're gonna wanna raise the pH from 6.4 a few points and likely the alkalinity (did you test the KH?). I'd recommend starting with a target of 6.8 and try to get there over a few days using pinches at a time of a shrimp safe buffer, like SeaChem's alkaline buffer or even pure baking soda from the market. You can also get salty shrimps GH+/KH+, who anyone will recommend for raising alkalinity and hardness/TDS. Then repeat, but no more than 0.1-0.2 pH jumps each day or two.

I keep my rilis around 7.0-7.4, depending on the tank, and they all do quite well.

Good luck. I hope you see good results in your tanks in the upcoming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearing in mind there may not be one single cause. The rainwater could be an issue, and/or pH.

And I am wondering about it being molt issues.

I think they do/can turn white looking before a molt, and sometimes they fail. The inactivity also seems to be consistent with a molt issue.

I think? kitty litter removes carbonates from the water.

What are you using to remineralize?

Bearing in mind there may not be one single cause. The rainwater could be an issue, and/or pH.

And I am wondering about it being molt issues.

I think they do/can turn white looking before a molt, and sometimes they fail. The inactivity also seems to be consistent with a molt issue.

I think? kitty litter removes carbonates from the water.

What are you using to remineralize?

Tap water .It is rock hard.I check TDS to keep it level.I check mix (RW/Tap) for KH and GH than add this water to the tank.I have stopped RW all together, I will  stop tap water soon. RO+shrimp mineral. I think it will be a bit an overkill for rilis but i will be able to control most parameters if not all

Daneland, if it's any help- when I first started neos I used tap too.  I couldn't figure out why I was losing shrimp.  Then I did ro + remin and miraculously they were surviving.

Some people have perfect water from the tap.  Although my params read fine, I did not.  One of the many things I learned along the way.

I moved them in a new tank with old filters but they still keep dying. It has become a shrimp cemetery :( It is a completely hopeless situation.I noticed some of them get a blueish hue before they die. I guess it is a kind of poisoning and rookie mistakes combination. The only good thing there was a berried black nice tiger shrimp. I took the risk and transferred in to relatively high grade shrimp tank.Now I have some shrimplets :)

Edit in the cemetery tank I have seen a berried rili today :thumbsu: .I cant get my head around it? :phew:​