Eve - My 1st Berried CRS - How long until fry?

I first discovered my first berried shrimp. A CRS that I named "Eve"

I discovered that she was berried right around the first of May.

She gets larger every day I see her. I was wondering how much longer

will it be before I see fry? I know it's been at least 30 days since I

discovered her.

She is in her own section by herself in my 48" long tank, that is fry proof, and

that I set up for the babies.

Her pics are in my gallery when I first saw that she was berried.

on average most shrimp are 28-32 days depending on temp and what not. the only ones i know of so far that take longer are some of the tigers they can take up to 40ish days. the cooler the temps the longer it will take. if say the tank is around 65 it is going to take prob a few more than 32 days. if its low 70's prob closer to the 28 time frame

so I keep my tank between 72.5 and 73 degrees. I try to never let it go below 72, amd never get higher than 73 degrees, so it must be any time now. I am going to have to go on fry watch......lol

Should I take her out of that section after she has them, so only fry would be in that section, or should I keep her in there with her fry?

She molted completely today? Should she have molted before having here fry?

She is having her babies right now. I see two of them so far, but I can't find Eve, she picked a very good hiding place to have

them, because I can't find her. But I see two, tiny, tiny, tiny, CRS right now as I post. I'll let you know as I see more.

How many do they have?

Don't ask for pictures, you would have to have a very good camera, with a close up lens to get photos of these, and the

tank is surrounded by Photo Day Lights on both sides, but I don't have a good enough close up lens to get pics of these fry.

They are way smaller than I thought. I knew they would be tiny, but wow, are they tiny........

Ya they are very tiny. You won't be able to really see Them for a few days to a week or two. Half the time I don't ever see them. Should have a lot of them. If you have Indian almond leaves or others in there fry tend to flock on there. Makes it easier to see in the tank. Also a magnifying glass and a flash light will do wonders if you really want to see.

-Chris

Yeah, I have only seem three so far. I do have Indian Almond leaves, a fallen oak leaf, and lots

of xmas moss, and xmas moss on the Malaysia drift wood. Plus a plant, so they have plenty

of hiding places. I put in a little powder baby food, and hopefully by tomorrow, I will be

able to see some more. I can't find the Momma right now, little own the fry.   lol

I have finally seen the Momma today, I call her Eve for being my first berried shrimp. But I have not seen any fry.

They are hiding pretty good. I saw three yesterday when she had them, but none today so far. Man are they small.

I was happy to see Eve today though, alive and well.

It is funny, but she molted completely right before she had her babies. I mean completely. You can see the molt

is from one end to the other, and this happened right before she had her fry. I wonder if all shrimp do that right before

they have their fry, if they molt first?

Yea they will be MIA for a few days or a week. I used to think that they all died but then after a week or two you would really see them around. They are there!

If they molt when they have eggs, the eggs will still be in the molt. Often they molt after they release the shrimplets.

Interesting that makes sense though, I did not know that!

Yeah, makes sense to me too. She probably had her fry first, then molted right after.

I know she is eating like crazy today, all day and night, just eating Indian Almond Leaf,

and Oak Leaf. Before her fry was born, it seemed like she didn't eat very much, or

she ate at night when I was sleeping. But now, she has been eating continuously.

I found 4 of them today. I still can't get over, how small they are.

I never vacuum my substrate, because of the top layer of moon sand on top of the bottom layer of Fluval Shrimp Stratum. 

In the middle of the tank is my media section and I also have a small UV Sterilizer. I  usually only run it for three days,

once every couple of weeks. It is two sections overs from the fry, but I am not sure I should run it for awhile now?

Same with, I have a Aqua Power Filter, and use the water polisher filter, and usually run that for two days, every

other week. I am not sure I should use that with the fry either.

Both the main HOB, and filters are in the middle section of the tank (see my main tank journal), which is where I run

the UV, and Power Filter. The sections have dividers with 1/8" wide slits on the top and bottom about 2" long, and fry proof stainless steel mesh over

the dividers, so nothing can get through to the other sections, and each section has their own sponge filter and nano filter and air stone, but

I am unsure if I should run the UV and Power Filters with the fry in the left end section. There are in that section by themselves.

Just put a sponge over your intake on your hob. Don't be scared of them. They move out of the way faster than adults do.

-Chris

Yeah, I have my intakes covered with Han's stainless steel mesh covers that he makes. They are fry proof, and

work great!

Saw five fry today. They are six days old now, and are starting to move around a little more.

The Momma was a SSS CRS, and I notice, I have a couple of SSS fry, and some lower

grade fry too. The color isn't very red on some, and on others, it is very red?