CFS 130 Canister

Anyone using this filter? I'm thinking about using it for a 20 gallon high tank. The tank will mostly be a planted tank with neos. Interested in thoughts about it. Price seems descent.

http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-Canister-Filter-Odyssea-CFS-130-p/42042.htm

That looks like a pretty cool filter (and a nice price)...........if you do end up getting it I'd be interested to know how much clearance you need on the back of the tank to fit the filter.  I'd also want to hear your opinions on how easy it looks to maintain.

That looks like a pretty cool filter (and a nice price)...........if you do end up getting it I'd be interested to know how much clearance you need on the back of the tank to fit the filter.  I'd also want to hear your opinions on how easy it looks to maintain.

I like the flow adjustment.

130 gph would be 18 tanks per hour.  :o

i have tom's mini canister.

it's 80 gph.

with a intake sponge,right now it's 20 gph.

when i first hooked it up,it was way too powerful for a 10 gallon,so i pointed the outtake to another sponge.

i ordered the CFS on ebay for 30 bucks...

I went ahead and ordered one. The tank I'm using it on is 18" high and will be planted heavily, I like all the media that you can fit in this canister. It also allows you to add the media of your choice.I'll probably exchange the bio-balls for rings instead.

i got mine today.

(priority,not smartpost  :) )

though i haven't hooked it up.

i paid 4 bucks less then tom's.

all i can say right now,it didn't have the "this must be the cheapest thing i ever bought" feel as tom's did.

plenty of room for media.

interested to know how much clearance you need on the back of the tank to fit the filter. 

still haven't hooked it up.

way past my bed time.

but, i did play with it.  :P

the HOB:

width 5 inches.

depth up to 1.5 inches,maybe a little more.

I got mine last night as well. It's the perfect size for my 20g high planted tank. I'd definitely consider this for a 10g-20g shrimp tank. The best thing about it is the amount of media it can hold and the outflow is fully adjustable. I wish they'd make a clear one.

Almost like a Hang on the back canister! I like this concept. Please let me know once you start using it for sometime what your pros and cons are. Would be perfect for a shrimp rack!

I'm going to try this filter on my 60H. I'm just waiting for my new BML light to show up. I picked up a 9L bag of Amazonia powder today. Can't wait to get this running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost like a Hang on the back canister! I like this concept. Please let me know once you start using it for sometime what your pros and cons are. Would be perfect for a shrimp rack!

Not trying hijack your thread Andy and Im very intrested in the CFS filter but if you like the concept DETA check this Dennerle filter starts at 1 minute

Very hard to get and took a special invertor to use in the states. Rumor has it that Dennerle is planning on a US division by the end of this year.

http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/external-hob-filters/398-dennerle-scaper-s-flow-hang-on-external-filter.html

Thanks Vpier and Mayphly, I am definitely on the wagon for either of these filters. Just makes sense smaller than a canister with a similar benefit for beneficial bacteria and has a proper intake/outtake. 

the Dennerle filter is really nice. I love the fact it comes with it's own lilly pipes. I looked into it before but nobody in the US carries it.

the Dennerle filter is really nice. I love the fact it comes with it's own lilly pipes. I looked into it before but nobody in the US carries it.

Took me a couple of months to get it and you have buy a special invertor due to running at 230v, the invertor was $29. dennerle thinking about making products for the U.S. I really like the Nano tank kits.

Not trying hijack your thread Andy and Im very intrested in the CFS filter but if you like the concept DETA check this Dennerle filter starts at 1 minute

Very hard to get and took a special invertor to use in the states. Rumor has it that Dennerle is planning on a US division by the end of this year.

http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/external-hob-filters/398-dennerle-scaper-s-flow-hang-on-external-filter.html

The Shiruba series of canister filters might interest you then, the actual filter body appears to be similar, but the shirubas do not come with the lily pipes.  You can also hang shirubas on the rim of your aquarium or run it like a smaller canister filter. 

UP Aqua makes a couple similar external filters like the Odyssea, in fact the External 120 looks pretty similar.  They also make another one that features adjustable flow and a surface skimmer.  The UP Aquas look like they can be daisy-chained together so they're quite interesting and I don't think I've seen anyone use them yet.  I've considered trying out a few of these filters. 

The Shiruba series of canister filters might interest you then, the actual filter body appears to be similar, but the shirubas do not come with the lily pipes.  You can also hang shirubas on the rim of your aquarium or run it like a smaller canister filter. 

UP Aqua makes a couple similar external filters like the Odyssea, in fact the External 120 looks pretty similar.  They also make another one that features adjustable flow and a surface skimmer.  The UP Aquas look like they can be daisy-chained together so they're quite interesting and I don't think I've seen anyone use them yet.  I've considered trying out a few of these filters. 

Looked at the shiruba and almost bought it. I went with dennerle because its on a display tank and I didn't want a see through filter like the shiruba where people can see the build up of gunk inside the filter.  Aesthetically the dennerle is very good looking filter that looks like it was meant to be displayed with your tank as a whole.

Looked at the shiruba and almost bought it. I went with dennerle because its on a display tank and I didn't want a see through filter like the shiruba where people can see the build up of gunk inside the filter.  Aesthetically the dennerle is very good looking filter that looks like it was meant to be displayed with your tank as a whole.

That makes sense.  I've found that the Shiruba is not as see-through as it would seem.  The Dennerle is definitely superior aesthetics though and it looks to include the lily pipes which is nice.  May I ask where you bought yours from?

That makes sense.  I've found that the Shiruba is not as see-through as it would seem.  The Dennerle is definitely superior aesthetics though and it looks to include the lily pipes which is nice.  May I ask where you bought yours from?

http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/Awesome people to deal with was very helpful and warned me about the dennerle could not run on 110v.

I bought the CFS 130 for a new 15 gallon I'm setting up. Did anyone notice that the sponge filters are installed in the wrong order? The fine filters are currently installed on top, and coarse filters on the bottom of the canister. The problem is that the water from the tank enters the top of the canister, flows through the sponge filters, then a water pump at the bottom of the canister pumps the water though a tube to the top of the canister, and then back into the tank. If I left it like this, the fine filters will get clogged pretty quick. I can squeeze the fine filters into the narrower opening at the bottom of the canister, but the two coarse filters are narrower and don't really fit in the larger opening at the top of the cannister (gaps on the side of the coarse sponge where the tank water can bypass). Looks like I need to do find a way to fill the gap or just use some mech rings up top.