RO Unit adapter to shower pipe?

Hey everyone,

fishprinceofca graciously donated the Pure Water Club RO unit that he was using to me. Now I've run into a problem connecting it to my apartment's water supply. Because the kitchen and bathroom faucets are proprietary fixtures and do not unscrew, it seems the only options I would have are to connect it to the overhead shower pipe. The typical fittings I have won't fit onto the shower, attached.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any suggestions on what adapters to make this work?

post-3566-0-13014700-1457463422_thumb.jp

Most aerators unscrew from the kitchen or bathroom sink for replacement / cleaning.  There are adapters for the fixture as some aerators that consumers want are not compatible with what they have but will work with an adapter.  Threading is the same but some screw into the pipe and some screw on the outside.  There are also numerous adapters for a shower pipe as well.  The kitchen or laundry sink ( my choice ) would be easier as a work station.  Is the threading on to R/O inlet a garden hose type ?  If so any big box store or local Hardware (my choice again) will be able to set you up.  There are also numerous fittings for garden ponds and irrigation lines available too.

What is the diameter of that pipe?

Something like this won't work http://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Garden-adapter-Reverse-Osmosis/dp/B00IIEJ3FS ?

The diameter looks to be 3/4". That does look like it would work, though the listing and reviews say that if there is plumbers tape on on, it could leak..

Most aerators unscrew from the kitchen or bathroom sink for replacement / cleaning.  There are adapters for the fixture as some aerators that consumers want are not compatible with what they have but will work with an adapter.  Threading is the same but some screw into the pipe and some screw on the outside.  There are also numerous adapters for a shower pipe as well.  The kitchen or laundry sink ( my choice ) would be easier as a work station.  Is the threading on to R/O inlet a garden hose type ?  If so any big box store or local Hardware (my choice again) will be able to set you up.  There are also numerous fittings for garden ponds and irrigation lines available too.

While my bathroom sink faucet is out of the question (the aerator is built into the faucet), I looked closer at my kitchen sink faucet. I actually can unscrew it, which exposes a 5/8" diameter thread, see below. It would need to be a male-type fitting. I couldn't find something fitting this size either on the PWC website.

Pure water club sells a specific adapter for a shower head on their site. Also one that taps in under the sink. Two good options.

I tried looking under "fitting/connects" but I couldn't find a 3/4" size anywhere. I sent them an email to ask what they would recommend.  Totally possible I missed it though, so if you happen to know where it is, I would be grateful if you link me =)

post-3566-0-11788100-1457504893_thumb.jp

The standard shower pipe is 1/ 2 " which is the interior diameter.  That is what what you should look to fit too.  What does the R/O unit hose look like? What unit is it.(model #)   I'm sure there is an adapter that can be found locally H.D.- Lowes, Hdwe, or even plumbing supply house that will be cheaper and you will have it now.

I actually have both of those (2 metal fittings and the 2-way switch). It would work if I can find the right size fitting for either the shower head or the sink faucet.

The standard shower pipe is 1/ 2 " which is the interior diameter.  That is what what you should look to fit too.  What does the R/O unit hose look like? What unit is it.(model #)   I'm sure there is an adapter that can be found locally H.D.- Lowes, Hdwe, or even plumbing supply house that will be cheaper and you will have it now.

The model # is POQ-4B-50. Yeah my next step is to go to a local hardware store with both kitchen and shower measurements to see what they can do.

Thanks for the model #.  Checked the website and both of those are the standard thread for fixtures.  With shipping your looking at $6.50.  But both are plastic and are prone to stripping out or cross threading and will have to be replaced again.  For the same money you should be able to get a chrome plated brass fitting that will hold up much better.  ,,,,Mike

This is me this weekend!  I was just in your exact situation.  What I did is I had to go to orchard supply and I needed three pieces.  I bought a 1/2" swivel adapter, an aerator adapter, and a female hose adapter.  I believe that the swivel aerator adapter attaches to the included faucet attachment ant the female hose adapter mates joins the aerator adapter and the swivel adapter.  I think it is the swivel adapter that attaches the whole combination to the showerhead.  The trick was to get the faucet adapter to a known size and then finding a piece that mates to the standard 1/2" showerhead.  Here are the SKUs from my receipt: FznaMkz.jpg?1