Tips for Blue Bolts?

brocknorman

Hello, I just ordered a batch of 6 regular grade Blue Bolt shrimp( mixed of females and males). They will be arriving March 16. Any tips on keeping these guys? I have had my tank cycling for 2 weeks. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with fluval Spectrum gravel, with Minerax under that. I have ordered Borneo Wild Enlive, which will I will put some on the water. Currently in my tank, I have 3 pieces of chalk board wood, two pieces of driftwood, 1 Anubis, 1 crypt, 2 Marmo Moss Balls, a mat of Java fern, and I ordered java moss, which will be arriving before before the shrimp. I have a low light led. Currently, all I have inside are 3 Oto Cats. My ph: 6.5, GH:5, Kh:0, tds: 160. The rest of my peramters are good. Any tips for breeding/ caring for Blue Bolts of Taiwan Bees' in general, as I don't want to get my shrimp in and have them die right away.

-Brock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow your tank cycled quickly, congrats!

Your parameters and description of the tank sound very good and promising for your new arrivals. I don't have much to add other than patience if you're receiving juvenile shrimp. If that is the case, be prepared to wait a while for breeding to happen. 

Ok thanks any tips on feeding etc?

I have a routine for food through out the week, but in general I like to mix it up, so I feed them various low keys, csf, mk breed, and natural foods. You might be able to get away from feeding them commercial food for now because the tank might have some nice biofilm going from your cycle.

Ok thanks anything else I should know?

I'm sure you already read about this but drip acclimate them before introducing them in your tank.

And it is fluval STRATUM my bad.

I switched my tanks from controsoil to fluval stratum and it does release ammonia. Even after using a seeded filter I see some ammonia. I would recommend checking your parameters to make sure you're cycle is fully complete.

Aside from ensuring your aquarium is cycled completely, be sure to acclimate your new Blue Bolts properly, it can make the world of difference. Don't rush cycling your aquarium, I know how exciting it can be to finally get your new shrimp in, but that satisfaction will be long gone if you don't have a cycled aquarium and they kick the bucket.