Shrimp Rack Spacing

Question....  I am starting another rack and thought I would inquire from others how much room you leave between the top of the aquarium and the next shelf. 

I have found it is a balancing act between the convenience of reaching in with a net/plants/picture of water, cups of water for water changes, and the look and feel

My goldfish racks are about 12" from aquarium top to the next self, I was toying with the idea of 8" to give it a different look, but thought I would ask what others have tried and liked or disliked.  I do want this rack to be a dis[play rack so needs to look very nice and serve as something to pull plants/racks/shrimp in and out of

Top of the aquarium to bottom of the shelf - or to the bottom of the aquarium of the next level of aquariums?  Chrome/metal racks can help take some height out...  With smaller tanks 15 and 20Long and below, I am generally happy with 6 inches between the top of the aquarium and the bottom of the next ~shelf.  This lets me get a 32 oz deli or yogurt cup in and out in the upright position.  Bigger and taller (especially taller) tanks - I need more height to get potted plants and driftwood in and out, or to have space to get my whole arm in and see my fingers... 

Thanks all..... I will start playing around today and see what I come up with... Leaning towards 12", but I like the looks of a nice wall of tanks. This one will have 20 gallon longs, 12-18 of them. I think if I had all rimless nice tanks it would be easier to just do 12". I love the looks of the rimless, but the black caps around the 20 gallon longs are not as attractive to me

How many rows are you doing? Are you trying maximize space or are you going for looks? I have 40 breeders three high. Rack is 2x4 construction. Spacing was around 7 inches between top of tank and the 2x4 above. I always make sure I have enough room to fit a specimen cup when designing racks at the minimum.

How many rows are you doing? Are you trying maximize space or are you going for looks? I have 40 breeders three high. Rack is 2x4 construction. Spacing was around 7 inches between top of tank and the 2x4 above. I always make sure I have enough room to fit a specimen cup when designing racks at the minimum.

This one is for looks. I have all my Goldfish in 40 gallon breeders, stacked 3 high. I have to use a step stool for the top tank