Looking for fast growing & unproblematic plant ideas

Shrimple minded

I just bumped up my light on my 40B from a Finnex Stingray to the Planted Plus 24/7.  I'm concerned that the increase in light could cause algae issues, and I'd like to add to my plant mass as a preventative measure.  The tank currently has some mosses, tons of mini pellia, subwassertang, and some buces/crypts/nana petities, but it would still fall in the lightly-planted category.  I have Red Root floaters and I'm going to have a mass of them in low flow areas separated by Hans floating plant guards.

The idea I'm batting around is floating some anacharis while I determine how to match the light to the tank.  Aside from anacharis, can anyone think of any other non-problematic plants I could utilize to accomplish my goal?

Additionally, if there are any 24/7 users out there I'd love to hear your experiences and your opinion on light levels for a ~16-inch substrate to light setup.

Thanks!  SM

Water wisteria grows fast and sucks up a lot of nutrients. You will need to cut it back occasionally because it does grow so fast.

Hygrodifformis2.jpg

Cabomba is a good nutrient sucker too, but I have had issues with it "shedding" little needley leaves in tanks. 

Do you float yours or is it planted?

I've got mine planted, but it definitely grows roots all along the stems.  It is perfectly fine with floating too.

Its one of a very limited collection of plants that will live in brackish water, so I keep some in my spotted green puffer tank.

• 2 weeks later...
I just bumped up my light on my 40B from a Finnex Stingray to the Planted Plus 24/7.  I'm concerned that the increase in light could cause algae issues, and I'd like to add to my plant mass as a preventative measure.  The tank currently has some mosses, tons of mini pellia, subwassertang, and some buces/crypts/nana petities, but it would still fall in the lightly-planted category.  I have Red Root floaters and I'm going to have a mass of them in low flow areas separated by Hans floating plant guards.

The idea I'm batting around is floating some anacharis while I determine how to match the light to the tank.  Aside from anacharis, can anyone think of any other non-problematic plants I could utilize to accomplish my goal?

Additionally, if there are any 24/7 users out there I'd love to hear your experiences and your opinion on light levels for a ~16-inch substrate to light setup.

Thanks!  SM

Actually don't have a problem with the 24/7 on my 40b actually more concerned about not enough light....mine only seems to light half the tank. And I run it high all the time...could be wrong though but that's my experience

On 3/15/2016 at 9:02 PM, Shrimple minded said:

Does anyone have any clean water wisteria they are willing to sell?  If so, please send me a PM.  

Thanks!

I have some Wisteria but it may have snail eggs or snails on it. As it is in my Angel tank that I have feeder snails in. They like to eat them and their eggs when they have a chance. You could try the bleach dip method on it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2016 at 5:41 PM, Mr. F said:

I've recently had some experience with hygrophila polypsperma. Highly recommend. It's a beautiful, fast growing, low light, nutrient sponge.

On the Federal Noxious Weed list and Illegal in some states. Great at growing, but be careful at water changes, even partial leaves can grow into whole plants.

I like the Wisteria suggestion the best.