End to hair algae?

Soothing Shrimp

So I made an interesting observation today.  I give light to my shrimp tanks during a lot of the day.

A lot. 

Did I say A LOT?

I'm talking 12+ hours.  

I ALWAYS have hair algae in my moss (and sometimes on sponge filters.)  My fault, I know, due to the long photoperiods.

But here's my observation:

I use daylight florescent bulbs in my tanks so I can see true colors for selective breeding.  Only one bulb on one side, directly over my moss.  I ran out of bulbs recently and had to use a soft white florescent bulb in one of my tanks.

That tank was started at the same time as two of my other tanks.  Those two other tanks now have hair algae.  The one with the soft white doesn't, but the moss is still growing well! 

I'm guessing different wave lengths?

I may resort to soft white in all my tanks, but I HATE HATE HATE the yellow glow!

Do the cheap white LED strip lights we have been reading about have the same effect as soft white where it doesn't grow hair algae? 

Nope. Even with the cheap white led strip, you still get the hair algae. Sorry, but I

have the cheap white led strip light, and I still get hair algae. I got rid of the light,

and went to a different LED Light with night and day lights.

That's really interesting. I used a cool white bulb once and everything died, plant-wise. (Did not have my epically subversive hair/spirogyra/annoying green **** in the substrate at that time, can't comment on how that would have been affected.) I have not ever been able to grow moss.

Try having styro (silk algea).... it lives on the exact same thing you plants do, so to kill it you have to kill your plants too. I am down to a 4 hour photo period with my light raised 2 more inches and it still grows. I have to pull it everyday but now that I'm on vacation for 5 days then a gone for work for a week soon I am already regretting seeing my tank afterwards.

It freaks the shrimp out too when they run into it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've tried complete black out for a week, it didn't help it actually grew more during the black out than with the lights on.

I eradicated it as you've seen on some posts from me here. By pulling out all my decorations plants and filter stuff. Taking four tupaware containers. One with peroxide, algae fix, excel, and pure water. I would dip everything in each of the first three for 3-5 minutes then let it sit in the pure water for an hour or so make sure it's ok to to back in the tank and put it all back. Killed all my spyro, bba, diatom, green dust. But low and behold three weeks later the demon spyro came back three times stronger. I went from 13 hr light on, I like to see my tank all day. To a 6 hour split photo period. Raised my lights up 4inches above water level. The only other theory I have is to dose fertilizer mix that on,y moss and Buce would take in and use but I can't find any info on the exact nutrients they consume

Does anything eat hair algae? any snails?

I leave my lights on 12 + hrs a day and have a jungle for a tank. Had it for a couple of wks then it just disappeared.

Not sure after I added some new species or not

I wish Aman ate spyro... are you sure it's not that? I thought mine was hair algea for a long time and wondered why spot treating excel did nothing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Amano rat hair algae. But not spyro. Not that I am aware of anyways. I'm sure there is a fish or shrimp out there somewhere that will eat it. That's like bba everyone sais no fish will eat It. But mollies and balloon mollies eat it as well as nerites.