What are these growing in my tank?

Garaxy

I have been doing a fishless cycle with ammonia for the past month on a brand new tank with all new products using Fluval plant and shrimp stratum soil. Recently I noticed various kinds of small or long white worms and today a large "grub" in my tank. What are these and did it come from the soil? Should I break down my tank and rinse the soil?

DSC_0039[1].jpg

DSC_0037[1].jpg

Deworm it with fenbendazole since there are no living things in there (that you want). Then a few big water changes.

Any type of organic substrate has the possibility of bugs being in the mix.  Was the grub alive or deceased?  It looks like it should be in moist but not saturated soil and hopefully was not alive. I can't tell what the little guys are but would be interested to find out if anybody else has had a similar experience

The grub was alive. I only noticed it when I saw a path through the soil on the side of the glass and this pest hanging around the corner. I eventually decided to tear down the tank and rinse and strain the soil after finding a couple of smaller ones and other random things.

The grub was an unfortunate victim in the process of doing his job in the composting process would be my guess.  Would still be a little disturbing to see something that doesn't seem to belong in an aquarium.  Hopefully the trauma won't cause you to sooth your nerves by buying several new tanks (still $1 gallon) and animals to put in them. ;)