Advice needed on new tank

Don't adjust TDS for now, it is too late. Just let the shrimps acclimate themselves, which takes about a week time.

To adjust TDS safely, the best is to use Potassium Sulphate. You can buy those Potassium fertilizer for planted tank:

Alternatively, you can get from this SG hydroponic online store: http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/lushgro-potassium-sulphate.html

Can't remember which RO salt are you using. Which one are you using? Most of them has Potassium Sulphate inside to adjust the TDS. The better designed one will have 5ppm of Potassium and the TDS will be at about 120 to 150, which most people hate is and call it too "dirty" (a lot of people got con by some companies claiming lesser TDS is better).

However, I am a strong believer on balancing the water chemistry. Thus, I will recommend you to dose trace elements at the same time.

Let me know what you decided to do and I will advise you the details.

By the way, I don't keep any CRS and CBS. Please don't feel offended with what I am going to say next, it is just personal preference. My reason for this is that I find them too common. I only keep different variant of Taiwan Bees, Neos, Pinto, Tibee and Sulawesi shrimps. CRS and CBS require exact same parameters as Taiwan Bee. For TDS, they can survive 80 to 500. It is all about they get use to it and not drastic changes for more than TDS 100 in a day.

Lol I'm using tap water with seachem prime as declorinator. Then I dose it with mineral max when I add the water.

Not offended with what you said. I used to keep cherries but am now upping the difficulty to crs. Once I'm sure I learnt enough basics I'll most probably look at upping it again.

I've always like king kong and pandas.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Remember when I put the shrimps in. . I posted that 3 were active and 2 hiding? The dead seemed to be the one which was hiding. Another that was hiding is still hiding and colour don't look that vibrant.

The other 3 active ones are still grazing and swimming around and the colour has improved. Don't look like grade C at all.

Hope I'm right that these 2 were stressed from the start and the 3 or even 4 will survive.

Dude... No wonder.... Tap water in SG is probably 2 to 4 dGH. Mystery solved. LOL!!

To successfully keep CRS or Taiwan Bee, you need to choose one of the following:

1. Tap water with RO salts (not recommended)
  2. 50% Tap water + 50% RO/distilled water with RO salts
  3. 100% RO/distilles water with RO salts (highly recommended for SG water)

Remember when I put the shrimps in. . I posted that 3 were active and 2 hiding? The dead seemed to be the one which was hiding. Another that was hiding is still hiding and colour don't look that vibrant.

The other 3 active ones are still grazing and swimming around and the colour has improved. Don't look like grade C at all.

Hope I'm right that these 2 were stressed from the start and the 3 or even 4 will survive.

It sounds like osmotic shock. If their body can adjust to the salinity, they will moult within two weeks to suit the water.

Hope to see some shells soon. Lol

Should be investing in RO soon. TDS of mytap is 80. Spent a bomb on this setup so need to watch it as my missus is watching already. Lol residuals she's electing our 2nd child... so far Spent over S$800 for all the equipments and misc stuff.

Remember I commented "Your shrimps look at bit small"? They are not in a good age to move. Good age will be about 2 to 2.5 months when they already develop solid color and still fast growing and moult frequently.

Shrimp hobby is expensive. That's why I devoted myself on a lot of experiment to bring the cost down. I have 10 + 1 tanks and I used to spend hundreds of dollars per month just to maintain my tanks. Luckily, I successfully develop everything I need and I only spend few bucks per month. Now I can save the money for buying more exotic shrimps. LOL!!!

Lucky for me, it is my Mrs started to keep shrimp (she start it off with a 12L pico tank for Neos, which now upgraded to a 120L tank with few hundreds population), although she throw everything to me now, she still let me continue to burn my money away. Haha...

Just a curious question. How did you spend $800?

My cost:

2 feet Tank with cabinet $250

Hs28a chiller $300

8kg borneowild shrimp Soil around $40

Borneowild humic, bacter crystal, vigor and Minerax as soil additive at average $20 each

Mineral rock around $30

Malayan driftwood at around $20

2 x mini fissiden at $20 each

Second hand eheim 2213 at $100

Mosses around $40

T5 lights at about $40

Tds Meter at $50

Ph meter at $60

Tester Shrimps about $20

Signing up crs membership at $35

Be careful of chiller. I consume hell lots of electricity. Since I have so many tanks, what I did is to turn the air-con to dehumidifier mode and chill the whole house 24x7. End up, I use less electricity when compared to chiller.

8kg borneowild shrimp Soil around $40 <--- DIY will cost $10 to $20

Second hand eheim 2213 at $100 <---- Sorry to say this, this is expensive!!!

No worries. Once you successfully keep one tank, you will realise you don't need to buy so much stuffs. ;)

Too bad I hardly go SG anymore, or else I can pass you some stuffs to help you lower the cost. 

Lol let me know when you drop by next time.

Weather has been hot and chiller been cutting in. Waiting to see my bill for the month. I've one tank so it should be cheaper than air con 24/7.

The 2213 is consisted cheap. Got it from a friend. Almost new and it comes with 2 double taps which will cost another $30 if I buy. Guess I'll need to get more experience and dead shrimps in the coming days to learn. And thanks for sharing. You have helped a lot.

2213 always come with two taps, so don't need to buy separately.  :phew:

Maybe it is cheaper in HK but I remember I bought brand new one for SGD100+. When I converted all my ADA tanks to Elos tanks, I gave all my Ehiem filter away for free (except I kept my Pro 3e for my Sulawesi experimental tank). Too bad I know you too late or else I can give you one set.

I live in Japan and Hong Kong but I only keep shrimp in Hong Kong. However, I spend most of my time traveling around APAC. Therefore, I used to go SG frequently.

My brother just started work in Macau and goes to hk often. I was telling him to get me something from hk because I heard it's much cheaper there. Is there any particular area to buy these stuff?

Bro,

The taps are in the box. 

211165g.jpg

If he is going to HK, ask him to take ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui instead of Central. After that take a taxi to Goldfish Street (Cantonese: Kam Yu Kai). The whole street has 20 to 50 LFS. However, you need to know the people there to enjoy discount.

Oh... maybe I should pay a visit there! Lol everything in Singapore is so expensive! Perhaps when I convince missus fir a 4 ft.. I'll fly there to shop... using bringing daughter to Disneyland as excuse. Lol

Oh... maybe I should pay a visit there! Lol everything in Singapore is so expensive! Perhaps when I convince missus fir a 4 ft.. I'll fly there to shop... using bringing daughter to Disneyland as excuse. Lol

You know what.... I was thinking of moving to SG last year, I even almost bought a house and a car. Later on, I realised the cost of living (except food) is more than Japan but still cheaper than HK. Plus it got too populated now; I went Tampines Mall once on weekend and I can't even move (it was very empty 10 years ago when I live there). Thus, I decided to hide in rural of Japan is better.