Muscle Necrosis

I found this guy in my tank several days ago with just a bit of white near it's tail. Right away I placed it in a quarantine tank which I always have ready to go. Since placing him in the tank I've noticed that now it can no longer straighten out it's body and the white is spreading up closer to it's head. From what I've read this could be muscle necrosis. None of the other shrimp appear to be affected with what this one has. So, I don't think it's bacterial. Has anyone experienced this before?

In the quarantine tank I perform small water changes (aprox 10%) every other day. The tank also has a good amount of IAL and is rich in humic. This shrimp still grazes and acts normal. However, I don't think it'll last much longer.

DSC_3951.JPG

On another shrimp forum, they recommended Baytril (Enrofloxacin) could be used for muscular necrosis in shrimp.  I have not tried it, but it seems like a rare condition. Doesn't look like you have much time left. I agree, he is a great looking shrimp.

Muscle necrosis in shrimp is usually caused by high temps along with low dissolved oxygen. I have my temps set at 72 and the jetlifter pipe has great flow. This makes me think it could be something else like white shell disease or body cramp. Bryce, other than performing water changes what else can I do to force it to molt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw yesterday that the shrimp molted. From what I could see the shrimp may be ok. I'll first get a chance to get a closer look at it tomorrow.

54 minutes ago, mayphly said:

I saw yesterday that the shrimp molted. From what I could see the shrimp may be ok. I'll first get a chance to get a closer look at it tomorrow.

im glad, its too cool looking to die.

Is this force molt complicated?

Complicated? No. I just did small water changes about every day this week which I think helped it molt. After losing my original aura colony I didn't want to take any chances .

22 minutes ago, mayphly said:

Complicated? No. I just did small water changes about every day this week which I think helped it molt. After losing my original aura colony I didn't want to take any chances .

I thought Soothe might have some secret method. I use Mosura Eros as directed in three of my tanks and it works.