New Shrimp Rack(s) Planning

shrimpytrade

Hi All,

Soon I will be having my own shrimp room so will be adding 20+ shrimp tanks to the existing ones.
The mistake I have done with the older tanks is - the water change and drainage were all manual work so it takes quite a bit of time for the water change. Mostly I get weekends only to spend with family and if I spend a big chunk of the time in water change then obviously family will not be happy.

So will be selling some of the tanks and will get all similar size of tanks for better understanding and plan is to automate the water change as much as can.

Below is a crude diagram of the rack(s) and how the system I am planning -

Rack%2BSetup.jpg

Will be a 3 layered custom made rack, which will mostly keep 3 tanks in each level.
Now my area tap water is around 800 tds so will be using RO plus remineralizer.

First we will keep a square container around 250-300 lt at ground level where I will put RO water and will mix the remineralizer and then at a decent height one more container of around 200lt will be kept which will be used to distribute water to every tank(s). From the ground level to the top level water will be sent using a pump. Will replenish the bottom container once its empty.

Each tank will have 2 pipes - 1 for input and 1 for output. Each tank input will be connected to a master PVC input and the PVC will be connected to the top container. And each tank output will be connected same to a master PVC output which will be connected straight to the drainage.
Each of the tank inlet and outlet will be controlled by valve and will be opened during water change.

Below is a diagram of the tank sizes, filtration etc.

Tank%2Band%2Bfiltration.jpg

Tank dimension are mentioned in inches.
Each tank will have 2 filtration - Taiwan style UG filtration and one sponge filter. A 4 inch partition will be done in the tank where the UG plate, filter media and soil will be kept.
The UG and Sponge filter will be connected to a bigger Hiblow XL pump which will run all the tanks.

So each tank will have 4 air pipes -
1 water drainage -valve controlled
1 water inlet - valve controlled
1 air pipe for UG
1 air pipe for sponge filter

Mostly will be using LED for all the setups.

Now would require members advice on the system we have planned. Please share your thoughts/suggestions/area of improvements.
My end goal would be to provide efficient filtration and also to automate the water change as much possible as it can be.

12 hours ago, avonsurfernc said:

Dam my boy ain't foolin around. Is your wife cool wit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes she is kind of - primarily she realized however she shout I am not listening much and secondary due to this shrimp thing she is able to travel with me to other countries in Asia, so she is kind of fine :)

@dazalea the 4 inch gap is not from outer to outer - its the inside gap excluding the beam. Wont you think it will be good enough?

Great start shrimpytrade! I look forward to the progress as one of these days I will be following suit. 

2 hours ago, shrimpytrade said:

Yes she is kind of - primarily she realized however she shout I am not listening much and secondary due to this shrimp thing she is able to travel with me to other countries in Asia, so she is kind of fine :)

@dazalea the 4 inch gap is not from outer to outer - its the inside gap excluding the beam. Wont you think it will be good enough?

It all depends what you are comfortable with... When I was assembling my shelf, I have to have atleast 6-8" gap or else I had a hard time.... I just trying to help in case , because once the shelf is built, hard going back! lol

Looks good.  Just a suggestion.  If you discharge the RO water directly into one of the tanks on the top row and remineralize there, you don't need a pump and some additional plumbing.  Most folks do very light water changes from what I am reading here.  If you do 20%, the top tank can handle 5 water changes at a time.  If you do 10% you can do 10 water changes.  I've used a partial 'automation' by using multiple, pre-made, siphon tubes.  For example, one tube extends down maybe 25% of the way into the top tank, the next extends 50%, the next extends 75%, and the last tube siphons the remaining amount out.  When the tanks are equipped with overflow plumbing, this is a very easy and quick way to do the water changes while you work on something different.  Siphon from the shortest tube first and when the water drops 25%, the siphon stops.  Then start the next shortest tube...  You can also use a second tank to keep a different remineralized water parameter.   I know it is a bummer using a shrimp tank for water, but your water storage has to go somewhere...

Here is a picture of what I have done in the past.  If I decide to do this regularly again, I will use the rigid airline to extend into the tank rather than add airline. 

I know I am walking into it with this statement, but Dazalea is right; 6 inches is much better than 4...  I have a few tanks that have a 5 inch gap and they are workable because they are not either the highest or lowest rack.

Regards,

Chris

Siphon tubes set small.jpg

What media you plan to use Between the under gravel and soil. Love the idea running a similar setup (double sponge and under gravel with a hiblow airpump) and planning to add 3 more tanks Taiwanese still still no idea on the best media. I struggled with less working space since my tanks are short side in the front so o adjusted the shelves. I don't have automatic water Changes all manual at the moment. Excuse the mess. 18052fa88e648659fd8296512be89d0a.jpg

@newellcr (Chris) what you told I also thought the same, to keep one big tank above and get rid of all the plumbing and other pain.
However I already have 10 existing tanks which also I need to get automated, so the plumbing I was looking forward too :(

The siphon tubes looked a cool idea, can you explain it a bit - how it manufactured or the operation through an image? And I would look forward to make the gap as 6 inch :)

@fernselvis very beautiful rack you have :)
In most of my existing tanks I have used ADA Bio Rio, Burnt Ceramic Ring (I found this one quite a bit porous than the normal one). So mostly I will be getting and using them in the upcoming one.
An image of the burnt ceramic ring
51AQfpjvElL._SY355_.jpg

However one of my friend have started selling Marinepure cubes in India, so will be getting some free sample from him for testing purpose, if I find them good can use too.

Shrimpytrade, your rack set up sounds good. Can't wait to see it completed. I had thought about installing a pump with a switch in my RO barrel and plumb in some pvc for a drip water system. However, with lids on all my tanks I hardly have any evaporation and just use a 5g bucket on my top shelf for top offs when needed. Which really isn't that often. 

5102016.jpg

Shrimpytrade, your rack set up sounds good. Can't wait to see it completed. I had thought about installing a pump with a switch in my RO barrel and plumb in some pvc for a drip water system. However, with lids on all my tanks I hardly have any evaporation and just use a 5g bucket on my top shelf for top offs when needed. Which really isn't that often. 

5102016.jpg

This looks familiar... Hehe

19 hours ago, mayphly said:

Thats also a lovely setup, gosh you guys are giving me an inferiority complex, how neat the tanks are :(
During monsoon, winter I can cover the tanks with lid but in summer I need to keep the tanks surface open to reduce the evaporation.

Will be going to get the glass cutting guy to place an order of around 6 tanks.

I will be using UG, and double sponge do you guys feel that due to that there will be more water evaporation?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks sorry for the delayed update, was quite held up on certain things.

The glass for new aquariums have reached and me and friend will be fixing them on Sunday.

Got the UG also and they look like this -
IMG-20160531-WA0000.jpg

The tank sizes as mentioned will be 18*18*12(h) inches so should I use 1 UG tube, or both of them? AFAIK the more air through the UG will reduce the active soil life much faster right?

Do share your thoughts whether I should use 1 UG tube or both, I will be providing one double sponge filter also in the setups.

Not sure about more air reducing the life of the soil. My next tank are going to single UGF and double sponge. I think that should be fine.

Any ideas on drip system without having to drill the tanks?

@Shrimple minded thank you :) Alvin Chan a friend of mine suggested me to go for this size.

@fernselvis in the below thread it was mentioned how fitting powerhead on UG can decrease the active soil life so thought whether it will be same for more flow also.
What ever I have read about dripsystem you wont require to drill the tanks, you can check youtube videos about drip water change system.
However I dont know how shrimps would like daily water change in the drip system or whether you are planning for weekly water change?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Was busy with too many things - slowly the shrimp tanks are getting done. We have made 10 tanks last weekend and hope so by this week end will be able to start the cycling.

IMG_20160629_010138_HDR.jpg

Filled one tank with ceramic rings and on top of it used ADA Bio Rio -

IMG_20160629_010745_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160629_011320_HDR.jpg

Covered with 2- inch of soil on top of the filter media.

IMG_20160629_011655_HDR.jpg

Do let me know what you guys feel about the media/soil. Should I include more etc.

The automation work is still in design phase as the plumbers are not available :(

• 3 weeks later...