Can I mix these two neocaridina breeds?

Hi I am new to shrimp tank I always wanted to have a mix colour but quickly learned that would result in wild grey colour generations. So I now decided to have blue only shrimp 

I currently own blue dream shrimp and love their colour, but I just found out about fantasy blue shrimp, now as their both blue can these two be mixed? Or will they produce wild type grey 

PFA my all natural nano tank setup 

image.png

Much of this neo hybridized game is semantics, dream blue, blue diamond or fantasy blue is kind of all the same thing as far as I know, so you might well be strengthening your gene pool rather than weakening it.   Most of today's fancy neo varieties seldom breed all true, so to maintain the strain you should ideally weed out the duds or selectively breed from the shrimp that tickle your fancy :).

However mixing your fantasy blues with say blue velvets, a lighter coloured creation, would start to reduce the vibrancy of the deep blue ones.   

You could always try some OEBT if you are into all things blue, as they would certainly not interbreed with your blue neos.

Ah yes I do like the look of OEBT nice I didn't know they wouldn't crossbreed so I prob purchase 10 of them soon

out of my dream blue shrimp I got a few that look a lot lighter blue than my others which look close to fantasy blue, I never thought about picking them out, I got a spare tank to separate so I might give that a go till I get a bigger number going 

cheers

Just double check on the water specs required for OEBT first, they are not too different to neos, but a little more finicky so not as hardy. 

With more expensive shrimp I would always recommend first adding a few shrimp for a couple of weeks especially in a relatively new setup and then add the remainder when you feel everything is 100s..

Sorry to say but mixing blues with blue wont always get you blues. Blue diamond are from the chocolate line, blue dreams come from carbon line, blue velvets come from red rili line, and idk where blue fantasies come as they are unfimilar with me. Best to just keep them separate tbh.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Vshrimp said:

Sorry to say but mixing blues with blue wont always get you blues. Blue diamond are from the chocolate line, blue dreams come from carbon line, blue velvets come from red rili line, and idk where blue fantasies come as they are unfimilar with me. Best to just keep them separate tbh.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for this info, so blue diamonds and fantasy blues boils down to semantics as mentioned and are the same ? I have these blue dreams from german imported stock..which do vary quite a bit as can be seen, some are much darker almost black like blue diamonds ?

This photo is not so good to show the black ones, I must take an update ..

IMG_6621.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

You're seeing the black carbon gene show back up which makes them look kinda dark. My blue carbon rilis do the same. Most shrimp's quality "decline" over generations without aggressive culling. However, in my opinion, the black carbons and dark blue dreams look nice. Just look out for those that are losing coverage or are more brown than black, as they will definitely lessen your color and quality.

OK thanks, no brown ones yet fortunately, but some are almost completely black. I thought I could remove and maintain a separate dark strain and then also remove the variegated mixed colour ones and ideally just keep the constant nice blue ones, which is quite difficult to do and select at a young age and given that the males will presumably not colour up as well as the females.. ?

OK thanks, no brown ones yet fortunately, but some are almost completely black. I thought I could remove and maintain a separate dark strain and then also remove the variegated mixed colour ones and ideally just keep the constant nice blue ones, which is quite difficult to do and select at a young age and given that the males will presumably not colour up as well as the females.. ?

Yes, but if your population is large enough you'll very likely include a few males. Or just wait 'til they're breeding age and sex them the best you can.