Blue velvet 'blue/red' rili project

I've decided to start another topic, my 5g cory fry/blue/red rili shrimp project. 

I have to be careful,  I think I'll be running out of tankspace soon.  The tank is bare-bottom, with seasoned filter floss on the bottom and a sponge filter.  

I had this tank going for a while, it's a nursery tank for fish, and since I was taking a fish-breeding break, I decided to add some blue velvet neos to keep the tank going and also because I had to seperate genes in another shrimp tank. 

So,  I added a blue shrimp that was showing hints of red. (Pic1)  A week later,  I found another smallish shrimp with a dot of red behind its head. (Pic2) So in the 5g fry tank it went.  I wasn't even sure if they were mixed sexes at the time (they were so tiny) but I guess they were because the as the two grew in the 5g alone, they had one clutch of shrimplets.  All of their shrimplets I see have red heads.  (Pic3&4)

A few days before she kicked them away,  I added a second shrimp (male? Pic5) and now she's berried again!  So if the third shrimp added to the fry tank is male, then I don't know for sure which one fertilized. 

Observations so far;  the shrimplets she is still carrying look different then her last clutch.  They look brown instead of red, and since I'm new to this, time will tell what they are.

My goal is to try to get red rilis with blue in the middle.  I think I have red rili so far, but we'll see....

I know they are possible to obtain through these shrimp's genetics,  because I got these shrimp from a friend's tank who had them.   I'm not saying they breed true or this is actually a strain, but some red rilis had a blue body in the middle of the red.  These are the ones I would like to produce in this tank. 

And I don't know anything about red rili genetics, just that the next step up is blue velvet.  I'm curious if the red rili and blue carbon rili are related? 

I really don't think it's as easy as this,  but what happens if I cross red rili with blue dream?  

Btw, the lighting on that tank is a 6w RBG LED tube, so the blue colour of the shrimp really doesn't show up, but they are indeed blue,  a very light greyish blue, but blue nonetheless, and the third shrimp added to the tank is more blue than the others.  It also emits a pinkish looking light that reflects in the tank. 

On a side note,  I was able to hatch about 20-25 orange laser cories, so they are presently swimming in the tank with the blue velvet shrimp.  The female shrimp actually kicked her shrimplets away the day before the cory eggs hatched.

Things are going to get packed soon! 

Thankfully,  I have a 15g I can throw together quickly if needed.  You can see two blurry cory fry in Pic5.

20160716_153150.png

20160716_153035.png

20160716_153321.png

20160716_153239.png

20160716_182043.png

I think there are already some blue bodied red rilis :) my friend imported hers from Taiwan and she told me she believes she's the only one breeding them in the US

I think there are already some blue bodied red rilis [emoji4] my friend imported hers from Taiwan and she told me she believes she's the only one breeding them in the US

Yeah there are BBRRs, and I breed them in the USA as well as my neighbor and I'm sure many other members as well. He's just trying to make his own!

If "he" is me, then yes, I just want to get some from the shrimp I have.  Just a goal to aim for in the 5g...

So the BBRR.  Does it breed true?  What genes make up this strain?  

Or is it a freak of nature and just appear now and then in a blue velvet tank? 

My LFS is having a hard time finding them lately.

Oh and I'm a "she" and live in Canada :)

4 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Yeah there are BBRRs, and I breed them in the USA as well as my neighbor and I'm sure many other members as well. He's just trying to make his own!

hahaha guess it's more common than I expected :3 I get the idea of the pride to be able to recreate a line/find a new pattern. I hope someone creates a pink line soon

hahaha guess it's more common than I expected :3 I get the idea of the pride to be able to recreate a line/find a new pattern. I hope someone creates a pink line soon

Oh man, I used to have a few snowballs that started coming up pinkish for a while when I was fairly new. Aaaaaaand I accidentally murdered the whole colony. -__-

Just now, Mr. F said:

Oh man, I used to have a few snowballs that started coming up pinkish for a while when I was fairly new. Aaaaaaand I accidentally murdered the whole colony. -__-

oh no!!! hahaha How did they start coming up pinkish? Regressive gene or did you selectively breed with something else? Right now I have a bunch of babies from unknown parent but probably sakura red shrimp and I am having trouble identifying color/ what type it actually is. Is it possible to have like a high grade wild type neo

1 hour ago, Kat said:

If "he" is me, then yes, I just want to get some from the shrimp I have.  Just a goal to aim for in the 5g...

Oh and I'm a "she" and live in Canada :)

I feeeeeel like BBRR is BV and RR mixed? At least that's what my friend who claimed she was the only US breeder of them said they were. She told me taiwan farmers tried to mix blue velvets and red rilis which I guess I can see happening!

Oh and I'm a "she" and live in Canada [emoji4]

RCS will throw red rilis once in a while, and then those throw bbrr every once in a while, then BV is bred from there. That's how I got my BBRR and fairly certain how BV came about.

Having said that, introducing BV into a high grade red rili tank (maybe a test cross first) might create BBRR.

oh no!!! hahaha How did they start coming up pinkish? Regressive gene or did you selectively breed with something else? Right now I have a bunch of babies from unknown parent but probably sakura red shrimp and I am having trouble identifying color/ what type it actually is. Is it possible to have like a high grade wild type neo

They just had a mutation for a little red pigment, I was selecting for the more Amber colored ones, and ended up culling the pink into my cull tank... that had white clouds... that got really big.... The rest of the story kinda writes itself. lol.

As for the high grade wild type. In my (now white cloud-less) cull tank, I'll see solid (what you could call "fire" grade) tan or light brown shrimp. So yeah, you could do that! Just select for the ones with most pigment coverage on the carapace.

3 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

They just had a mutation for a little red pigment, I was selecting for the more Amber colored ones, and ended up culling the pink into my cull tank... that had white clouds... that got really big.... The rest of the story kinda writes itself. lol.

As for the high grade wild type. In my (now white cloud-less) cull tank, I'll see solid (what you could call "fire" grade) tan or light brown shrimp. So yeah, you could do that! Just select for the ones with most pigment coverage on the carapace.

oooooo Okay thanks :) I will try that

Just now, Mr. F said:

You know you might be onto the next big trend @ohmiko

What do you mean :OO High grade wild neo?? 

2 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

PFW FTW.

my time has come B) just kidding I'd need help because honestly I'd probably be selectively breeding and end up being so proud and It'll turn out I was creating something already made :( like chocolate or idk I'll send you pics tomorrow of  the shrimplets. They're allll so different!

1 minute ago, ohmiko said:

my time has come B) just kidding I'd need help because honestly I'd probably be selectively breeding and end up being so proud and It'll turn out I was creating something already made :( like chocolate or idk I'll send you pics tomorrow of  the shrimplets. They're allll so different!

Well that's another thought.. why not just try to make your own line from scratch/WTs? That would be kinda cool. It would take forever. But it would be insanely cool. Maybe you could finally crack the code of the ever-sought-after purple neo! :D

Just now, Mr. F said:

Well that's another thought.. why not just try to make your own line from scratch/WTs? That would be kinda cool. It would take forever. But it would be insanely cool. Maybe you could finally crack the code of the ever-sought-after purple neo! :D

Omg!!! I mean I'm young and I got time but what shrimp would I start with. And isn't there a shrimp called purple zebra? Ah if only genetics were as easy as mixing a red and blue shrimp :(

9 hours ago, ohmiko said:

I feeeeeel like BBRR is BV and RR mixed? At least that's what my friend who claimed she was the only US breeder of them said they were. She told me taiwan farmers tried to mix blue velvets and red rilis which I guess I can see happening!

Tx for that info!  And good luck with your pink shrimp or even better purple shrimp project!  

The friend who I got the original blue velvet from also has a tank of snowball.  I really love snowball shrimp! Hmmmm....

9 hours ago, Mr. F said:

RCS will throw red rilis once in a while, and then those throw bbrr every once in a while, then BV is bred from there. That's how I got my BBRR and fairly certain how BV came about.

Having said that, introducing BV into a high grade red rili tank (maybe a test cross first) might create BBRR.

Ok tx!  I suppose that's what will happen in the tank as it is- mixing blue pearl with high grade red rili.  That is,  if the first batch is high grade red rili....

I'm not really sure since I can't see any red on the tail portion of the shrimplets,  but idk if that expresses more as they mature?  I think they will redden up as they age too-correct? 

So I guess I'm working backwards in this tank.  I started with blue velvet and am working toward BBRR.  I'm just happy to see red shrimp again for now :)

20 minutes ago, Kat said:

Tx for that info!  And good luck with your pink shrimp or even better purple shrimp project!  

The friend who I got the original blue velvet from also has a tank of snowball.  I really love snowball shrimp! Hmmmm....

I do not like snowball neos :( I looked at it from time to time and I had constant paranoia that it had a cloudy body or maybe it always looked like that always and then a month later it died :(

36 minutes ago, Kat said:

Aww,  too bad,  sorry to hear.  What is that?  Cloudy body?  Why does that happen? 

Cloudy body is more of an observation. Usually snowball and blue velvet they're transparent with a hint of their color. For snowball, it has a little more color than of a ghost shrimp's body and over time I wasnt sure if the snowball was always as white as it seemed. Cloudy body is kinda like the body seemed milky white and opaque which means it's sick :( So it became less transparent. and eventually dieeeed

Oh :(  So there's no particular reason they appear cloudy when they are sick?

For instance,  if I found a cloudy looking shrimp, I wouldn't assume the cause is overfeeding; it could be any factor making it sick? 

Oh [emoji20]  So there's no particular reason they appear cloudy when they are sick?

For instance,  if I found a cloudy looking shrimp, I wouldn't assume the cause is overfeeding; it could be any factor making it sick? 

Usually bacterial infection, easily treatable but you'll probably lose the first affected.

Some times fungal, when they's all yellow in the middle of the head. Also easily treatable.