Blue velvet 'blue/red' rili project

5 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Usually bacterial infection, easily treatable but you'll probably lose the first affected.

Some times fungal, when they's all yellow in the middle of the head. Also easily treatable.

ok Thanks Mr. F

My friend has seen opaque shrimp in his tank.  He thought it was overfeeding,  or feeding at all for that matter.  He thought in his dirted tanks,  the shrimp had enough food.  I'm going to learn myself about shrimp diseases.  I'm not at all able to identify them and I feel it's important info to know. 

• 3 weeks later...

BBRR can be encouraged by RR x BR more easily than RR x BV.  The challenge you have is that the more intense the blue tissue, the less red pigment, and visa versa.  My own opinion is that they may be tied together, which is why it is so hard to get an intensity from both.

True BV are not selected from little pigmented RR, though it is a common misconception.  BV have a gene that causes the red to actually fade away leaving a blue shrimp.  It is recessive though, so if you mix BV with any other blue color, it will get lost.  Now, having said that- there are lots of genotypes out there now that are calling themselves BV. :notfair:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:46 AM, Kat said:

If "he" is me, then yes, I just want to get some from the shrimp I have.  Just a goal to aim for in the 5g...

So the BBRR.  Does it breed true?  What genes make up this strain?  

Or is it a freak of nature and just appear now and then in a blue velvet tank? 

My LFS is having a hard time finding them lately.

Oh and I'm a "she" and live in Canada :)

I have BBRR, and I can say this.

you have to put in the work culling them. My quality dropped around the third Gen. So I added carbons and blue dreams and velvets and though I had soooo many vulls my quality climbed and like you I housed them with my dwarf Cory project (all the pygmy species) then my heater malfunctioned and I lost all besides my culls. I have some how managed to breed them back but even know my batchs are 50/50 at best. Last I heard the only breeder I had gave all of his up as they take so much work.so good luck! here is one of my few true females and see her multicolored berries!

WP_20160815_040.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Miss-coloured berries?  They look red, or are they wild coloured?  My low quality BVs have a wild colour head.  I'm getting grey/blue shrimp with patterned red.  Some are red rilis.  I'm waiting to see if they tint up with a greyish blue body.  Tx for your experience.  Even if they are not BBRR, they look neat to me. 

I just understood these were BV because they were the first to show any red.  I haven't kept red cherries for years and definetly in a separate tank.  The cherries got picked off by my crazy angelfish pair.  There was a nice colony in the 46g bowfront when it was just home to my pair of EB rams.  Anyhow, I thought the red cane from BV.  I was told my shrimp were blue pearl, but that's impossible right?  They don't interbreed with regular neos?