Shrimp and Betta

Bellatrix

I keep some RCS with mine but when I buy them from LFS, they're already adults and the my betta isnt interested in thicker food :P just worms and brine 

My sister keeps Ghosts and Amano 

I feed my wild betta Neo culls on occasion, and they'll take anything that fits in their mouth as with all fish. Most betta have some form of wild shrimp in their habitats and readily view them as a food source. I have seen mine harass even larger shrimp (amano) right out of the tank so beware.

I have heard it depends on the Betta. I have cherry culls in my divided betta tank, they are doing okay, but there are no little baby shrimp around, and I have seen berried cherries in there...so if you are planing on your shrimp reproducing...betta tanks are not the way to go.

=^._.^=

• 2 weeks later...

So I have to chime in here. I agree that it depends on the betta but also the setup. My first try ended up with no shrimp. But I didn't have any moss in the tank and few hiding places. I tried again with full grown shrimp thinking he would at least stress my culls enough that they wouldn't breed and if they did, I thought he would eat the babies. WRONG! I now have a thriving colony of black neos and a new colony of tangerine tigers in with him. I think he got lazy with age but it is a wonderful mix in my tank now. Oh, I set up a similar situation for my sister and she now has berried blue dreams in with her young betta male along with a couple of mystery snails.

On August 20, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Wygglz said:

So I have to chime in here. I agree that it depends on the betta but also the setup. My first try ended up with no shrimp. But I didn't have any moss in the tank and few hiding places. I tried again with full grown shrimp thinking he would at least stress my culls enough that they wouldn't breed and if they did, I thought he would eat the babies. WRONG! I now have a thriving colony of black neos and a new colony of tangerine tigers in with him. I think he got lazy with age but it is a wonderful mix in my tank now. Oh, I set up a similar situation for my sister and she now has berried blue dreams in with her young betta male along with a couple of mystery snails.

Oooo! Can we see pics of the black and tangerine colony :D