how many hour of lighting period & how strong?

My first shrimp tank 10gal.

I put t8 hood light on 12hrs

Build nice bio film on glass,everything.

Java Moss grew good. But not great for xmas moss & willow moss. Grew good but xmas moss grew like java moss willow moss dark green. and i got bba on java fern under water current.

And since march, i set up 20L & T5ho light

(Free!) I run 1strip of light for 12hrs.

But thinking to run 2 strips of light for 6-7hrs like fish tank(no algae ploblem)

20L has only moss(java,xmas,willow & flame) and jave fern

Everyone is different to keep it.

It's kinda dumb to ask.

But im wonder how you guys do?.

i just have a small TB tank. its a 5 gal tank with stock light hood. and i use a 6500k ge daylight cfl bulb in it.  want to say something like 10-13 watt bubl. i guess its equal to about 40-60 watt normal bulb idk lol. i dont have a timer i just turn the light on when i get up and off when i go to bed. there have been days when i forget to turn it on so its off 24 hours and some times its on for 20 hours. no algae issues what so ever. 

only time i get bba is when nitrates are high and it starts growing on the leaves of plants. peroxide is great to spot treat it and kill it. main think is keep a check on parameters and it should be ok. if your worried about light get more plants that are fast growers. they will out compete the algae and the light will make them grow fast as well

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 391l tank running two 150watt mercury vapor bulbs 8hours per day with a diy sand substrate getting very nice plant growth had no algae and dosing nothing but rooibos tea for keeping the bba in check and ei ferts for the green stuff.My shrimp is going into this tank at the end of the month will they be compatible with the ei ferts?

I have a 391l tank running two 150watt mercury vapor bulbs 8hours per day with a diy sand substrate getting very nice plant growth had no algae and dosing nothing but rooibos tea for keeping the bba in check and ei ferts for the green stuff.My shrimp is going into this tank at the end of the month will they be compatible with the ei ferts?

I do use ferts in my tanks. I cut the dose in half though and only dose once a week. CO2 is the only thing I wouldn't recommend. it's possible but not if your new to shrimp, killed a few before I figured out it was bad lol.

-Chris

...dosing nothing but rooibos tea for keeping the bba in check and ei ferts for the green stuff...

Ooh, rooibos tea?? You should mosey on over to the natural products section and tell us all about how much/how often and how this works...

I mix the rooibos into the micro nutrients when doing my ei ferts just bring water to the boil and dump a single bag of rooibos into the water let it draw for about 2minutes and then add the micros.I had to prune my glosso today and also last week they grow massive bushes real quick like.

I hit on this idea when I coyld not get chelate iron and as rpoibos is an anti oxidant I convinced myself that it should work to keep rust from forming (wishfull thinking I know but desperate times lol) well up to now it works splendidly.I have a 120l tank that could also house the shrimp I Will just have to get used to low tech then.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

I usually keep myne on from when I wake up till I get home from work. Usually from 930-930

I have raised the light up and diffused it with craft mesh but still have Spiro algae problems. I atrted dosing macro and micro at 2 drops each per day and it seems to be keeping the algae in check but I would like it gone indefinatly.

Manual removal is the best way to get it done sometimes keeping a molly or two also helps they dine on thread algae.

LOL They also dine on shrimp. :stuff:

Lol yet another mostake I made with my now 4400ed colony of shrimp.

I will only keep a small amount of shrimp in the display tank then will purpose build a breeder for the shrimp me thinks.