Massive PH Spike!

Hi,

Looking for some advice on how to deal with a spike in PH.

I noticed yesterday that one of my michlings was on it's side and looking in a bad way. So I did a parameter check:

Ph 6.4

Gh 7

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

All looked okay, ph was slightly higher than usual but not by much. I did a water change anyway just to be on the safe side.

Just got home today and another shrimp was on its side so did another parameter check. Ph is reading as 8.8 on the high range!

I have no idea what's causing it. I'm using RO water remineralised with salty shrimp GH +

Nothing new had been added in the last few days.

In terms of bringing the ph down is it best to do it fast or slow? I don't want to shock them by lowering in quickly.

What is the best way to lower the Ph. I'm currently doing a water change but not sure what else to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use salty gh + never had a problem wiht crs.

Gh+ adjust only the gh .

How much did u done water change?

How did u measure the ph?

I did my usual 10% water change at the weekend.

I've done another 15% change now. Ph is now reading just under 7.

I used the API test kit, also used one of the stick things you dip in as I didn't believe the API result, but got the same result with both methods.

I don't have any rocks in there. I have some cholla logs on there, an IAL some alder cones and some of those ceramic shrimp cube things. I had some bits of driftwood as well that I'd added last week, but removed them just in case they were causing the issues. Using HMF filters with peat behind them.

Possibly I'm not sure how long peat lasts. I've got two Bags of peat, one behind each HMF filter, I replace them alternatively every 3 weeks. Replaced the last one two weeks ago.

I'm beginning to suspect it was the bits of driftwood although I have no bases for that, logically they should have reduced PH rather than increased it, but that's the only change I've made recently.

PH was back at 6 last night which is a relief, I will keep monitoring it just to make sure.

Are you using an active substrate or just peat to control the Ph?

Just now, Twister54 said:

Looks like I spoke too soon, came home to 1 dead michling, one in the process of dying and 4 dead cherries.

I'm totally lost now, no idea what to do. The PH still a 6, ammonia nitrates and nitrites are 0.

Maybe they are dying from shock since you've been battling this pH problem. I think as long as you maintain it from now on they'll thrive again. 

But yeah what I use to lower pH is Indian almond leaves and alder cones, peat balls if I'm desperate but I don't like how it discolours the water.

I see you are using just Gh+ remineraIizer.  I maybe wrong since I haven't dealt with neos in a while, but don't you need some sort of kH to help stabilize Ph?  Otherwise, with a kH of zero, you will be constantly battling with Ph swings.

The tank was set up as a michling breeding project, the cherrys are just in there because it looked a bit empty!

I was under the impression that without any KH the PH will buffer to whatever is in the tank, so as I've got peat and IAL and things like that it should stay at a low value. I might be wrong though, I'm still pretty new to all of this!

Mixed results really.

The cherry shrimp continued to die off. After I found the last cherry shrimp dead and the remaining michlings swimming around like they were drunk I decided to remove them from the tank.

I moved the michlings out of the tank and into into a small 19L tank. They seem to be doing okay in there. No more deaths anyway! One that was in its side and not very responsive when I pulled it out the original tank seems to have recovered which I'm very pleased about.

Still no idea what caused the problems which is very frustrating! I'm going to re-set the original tank completely then leave it to cycle before re introducing anything to it again.

I agree with 240ric.  I always thought that if your KH was less than 3 you could get pH swings.  KH stabilizes it.  I think something came in on the wood and a little of whatever it was is still in your tank.  I'd do daily water changes.  Just my 2 cents....

That does make sense, I might try adding a little KH to see if it helps, I have some Gh KH remineraliser would I add that until I hit my target KH then just use GH until my TDS is correct?

Also does KH increase the PH? I would want to keep it around the 6 range with the michlings wasn't sure I was able to do that with KH.

KH can increase your pH if it's very high (with some exceptions).  I don't think you'll have to worry about that because you're shooting for something very low.  And if you keep it low, say 3-4 your peat should still be able to buffer the pH down to 6.  But don't add it in all at once.  The sudden change might shock them.  Try bringing it up to 1, maybe wait a few hours.  Measure pH.  Then try and take it up to 2, wait some more and measure pH.  Then take it up to 3.  I have heard of folks with a KH of about 2 doing just fine.  But I'd still do the frequent water changes to try and get whatever is in there out.

Another thought, you might try moving the shrimp to a temporary tank while you monkey around with the chemistry.  And do another 100% water change on the tank while you're at it.  Then when you get it right, move them back to the tank with a slow drip acclimation. 

Thank you, I'll try that I've still got lots to learn about shrimp keeping. I have moved them out the original tank and have re-set it, but need to wait until it's cycled before I move them back.

We've had a power cut for the last couple of days so am going to make sure they recover from the temperature drop before I do anything else!

Oh goodness!  When it rains it really pours doesn't it?   Wish I had some heat packs left I could send you....  I wonder if there's any one local to you who has them?  If you can warm some water and put it in a bottle to float that might help....  If you still have the filter material you shouldn't have to recycle.  As long as it doesn't freeze it'll come back after a few days.

Do you live in the States?  I've had good luck with a product called "Safe Start" by Tetra.  It's bacteria in a bottle.  A lot of them don't do hooey but I've had good luck with Safe Start.  And if your tank is large enough you might not even need it because the bioload of shrimp is so low. 

Good luck and hope you get the power back soon!

Yes it typical it always happens at once! We've got power back now fortunately although looks like half my street still doesn't. I'll be adding heat packs to the list of things I need! Had never considered that it would be a problem until now.
No I'm in the UK but I think they sell a similar product. The shrimp tanks are fairly low stocked but we've got a fish tank which is pretty full. I'll have to keep a close watch on it this week and hope the power stays on.