Covict cichlid

countryboy12484

Keep them in a tank by themselves. The fry will accept dry prepared foods but prefer live cultured foods. If you want to have a big colony and continous breeding keep the mated pair in a 10-15 and seperate the fry At 1" into a 20 long

It took my fish about a month month in a half to get 1" when I had them. They will dig a hole as a nest for the fry, at least myne did so I had them I. A bare bottom tank for breeding after that. But they shouldn't bother the plants or moss

I had cons decades ago in a 20 gallon long.  I remember they spawned young .  They did great for several spawns and than the male killed the female .

I think when I removed the fry at smaller size than I normally did he took it out on the female.   I found her beat up and dead.

I kept him in that 20 for years but never got him a mate.

They are interesting but the breeding all the time gets to be a pain.

Find an outlet for the fry, because they will consistently spawn. My male never killed the female when they became and inch to inch in a half they weren't really protecting them anymore because they had a new spawn anyways

Country,

It is interesting and their colors are nicer as they spawn .  You will enjoy it but the problem is they spawn so much and incredibly aggressive guarding their spawning area. In my case it was the entire 30 inch tank and thus they were the only fish in it .

Subtle will know if you could add other fish to your 36 inch long tank but I would not even think of adding another convict .

I used to give the fry to the pet store and since this was decades ago they were an okay seller but by the 4th batch they sold them as feeders .

Than I gave a couple of interesting patterned  to a friend who had fire mouths in a 400 gallon oval "pond" in his front yard with fire mouths . They turned out to lose that interesting pattern and bred with one of his fire mouth .  We didn't know any better at the time (late 70's) since no internet .

The hybrids were the ugliest fish you could fathom .  My friend would release them in the canal (again at the time no one knew better) .  The fish were so ugly that I never went near that canal again , lol.

Subtle ,

Have you ever seen the Honduran red point convicts ?   That is one cichlid which I have not seen .

Countryboy, you and I are in the same boat. heh  I bought one type of fish and was sent a dozen of these convicts.  Most arrived dead except for 4 that were falling on their sides.  After an emergency plop into my tank, they recovered in a day or two.

The seller was contacted and reshipped the proper fish, but now I have 4 convicts about 1.5" big in their own tank.  I'm keeping them for the time being and see if I have an opposite gender to do a trial breeding with.  Everything I have read though says you can't even give these fish away.

Like you...we'll see. heh

Nope not even ottos. There worse than red evils when there breeding. I had myne originally with oscars and red devil and my female convict almost killed my juvi red devil. Lol

Find a wholesaler and ask if they'll give you credit for the fry