10G set up

I need heeeeelpppppp. I want to set a new tank for caridinas. (prob mischlings or all blue bolt or tibee) I am not sure what to get for substrate, light, and sponge filter. 

For substrate, I am thinking Fluval Stratum?? :o 

For lighting, I pretty much just bought LED clip on for 2 tanks and I dont even know if thats good but my plants are growing. 

as for sponge filters, I never had one before but I would love to try it out :) 

Recommendations? Thank u xoxo

I don't use active substrate for my mischlinge, but if you want TBs, I've heard mixed things about fluval stratum, so I'll let someone with experience answer that. I use Mr Aqua Aquarium Soil as well as
ADA Amazonia, both good. As far as lighting, a clip LED works if it's growing your plants! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Sponge filters are awesome. Shrimp don't create much waste so a sponge filter is a great option. HMF is always a good choice too; more surface area for bacteria to colonize.

2 hours ago, Mr. F said:

I don't use active substrate for my mischlinge, but if you want TBs, I've heard mixed things about fluval stratum, so I'll let someone with experience answer that. I use Mr Aqua Aquarium Soil as well as
ADA Amazonia, both good. As far as lighting, a clip LED works if it's growing your plants! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Sponge filters are awesome. Shrimp don't create much waste so a sponge filter is a great option. HMF is always a good choice too; more surface area for bacteria to colonize.

You dont? :o So u dont need any? I have my mischlings in active substrate so I thought that was needed too (disregarding that some caridinas can be raised in higher Ph now ) I like HMF but I am unsure how it works hahaha

2 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

A lot depends on if you want amonia or not, and if you want to grow plants in it or not.

I do want to grow plants and I dont want substrate that leaks ammonia because I feel like I would mess up and the shrimp would die :(

1 hour ago, dazalea said:

I have used Fluval Stratum and ADA Amazonia. They both work well.

yay!! :D

53 minutes ago, bostoneric said:

ohmiko. if you want to drive up to Culver you can save yourself some $ on soil.  Cash is king!

https://www.discobee.com/collections/sl-aqua/products/sl-aqua-nature-soil

Thank you for your recommendation. It has lots of great reviews!

Mischlinge are a bit hardier. I keep mine in 6.8 pH, KH 0-1, GH 5-7, TDS 200ish on black inert sand. I don't get pH swings and that tanks puts out more babies than any other tank I have. [emoji1303] Active substrate is most important when you want to stabilize/buffer a very low pH, for TB/tibee.

2 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Mischlinge are a bit hardier. I keep mine in 6.8 pH, KH 0-1, GH 5-7, TDS 200ish on black inert sand. I don't get pH swings and that tanks puts out more babies than any other tank I have. emoji1303.png Active substrate is most important when you want to stabilize/buffer a very low pH, for TB/tibee.

Interesting! I just figured having an active substrate would be good in case a decide to throw some blue bolt or whatever TB/tibee in there and let it run wild :) Post pics of your mischling tank :D

Interesting! I just figured having an active substrate would be good in case a decide to throw some blue bolt or whatever TB/tibee in there and let it run wild [emoji4] Post pics of your mischling tank [emoji3]

08d67c03304906257810dbd0afed1112.jpg

Wow the lighting is so dramatic LOLL So cool tho.... 

Those moss ledges throw a hell of a shadow. It's also about 4W of light in the form of a couple cheap clip on LEDs.

1 minute ago, Mr. F said:

Those moss ledges throw a hell of a shadow. It's also about 4W of light in the form of a couple cheap clip on LEDs.

all the moss i put on ledges never grows nicely I prefer how they look on cholla logs. I just bought fluval statum and a double sponge filter. What else do u think I need :o

Finnex stingray 20" to ball on a budget https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAFQ6FK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3CD.xb044TVKY

To ball out a little harder, you could go with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 20" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0HMWHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pFD.xbM09T56S

This is my choice because the automation and customizability. But I get them for $60 at an LFS so it's a bit more reasonable.

Do i need a heater? :o I think my room is warm in the winter/ cool in summer w/ a fan 

43 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Are you going to use a standard 10g?

i bought the 10g from petco :D 

Do i need a heater? [emoji33] I think my room is warm in the winter/ cool in summer w/ a fan 

You could get away without. If the room temp stays 65-75ish you should be good.

what about those weird LED light strips? how good are those :o

I've just set up some lights using the LED strips. They are pretty bright and was easy to do, although the light has a blue tinge to it that I'm not so keen on. I just attached them to some MDF board which I attached to the bottom of the shelf above the tank. I don't have many plants just some moss so not sure how good they would be with any other plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Twister54 said:

the light has a blue tinge to it that I'm not so keen on

can you switch a strip out with a full red one or something? your plants would thank you too. Lol.

Also, what strips are you using for your DIY setup? I've been curious if strips or the single LED route is the way to go for DIY lighting..

21 hours ago, Twister54 said:

I've just set up some lights using the LED strips. They are pretty bright and was easy to do, although the light has a blue tinge to it that I'm not so keen on. I just attached them to some MDF board which I attached to the bottom of the shelf above the tank. I don't have many plants just some moss so not sure how good they would be with any other plants.

i bought a submersible light rod and it said blue and white and i bought it and its pretty much a light blue :/ I guess it goes well with my blue tank tho hahaha

The strip has multiple colour settings, so can be red as well and pretty much any shade in between. It's just the white setting doesn't seem very white.
I brought them from eBay, there was quite a choice on there it was very similar to this one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-5M-300-LED-3528-RGB-SMD-Strip-Light-12V-44-key-Remote-UK-Adapter-/162148875333?nav=SEARCH

I got the waterproofed strips, some of them aren't which I thought might not be so good.

I used a 5m length and kind of wove it back and fourth possibly could have got away with a shorter one, but any excess can be cut off anyway.

I mostly used this method due to price was a lot cheaper than a proper aquarium light.