Interesting Orange Eye Red Stripe Tangerine Tiger Offspring

So I have a handful of really unique looking TT babies, and they have finally gotten old enough that I think this will be their adult coloration. There are at least 3 of these. They have orange eyes, they are paler than the other TTs, and their stripes appear to be red instead of black. I posted a blurry picture on another forum a while ago and was told it was probably just a cull OEBT, but I had the TTs for about 3 months before these offspring showed up, so I am reasonably certain these are actual TT offspring. I have included a few pictures. The first is of the unique TT offspring. The 2nd is it with a normal TT of the same offspring (possibly the same batch as well). And the 3rd is 2 of the orangeeyeredstripes with an adult. Now about half of my adult TTs have the darker tangerine color, whereas the other half are a bit lighter like the one in the first photo. None are quite as light as the OE offspring though.

http://imgur.com/ERDt1mF

http://imgur.com/7uVcE1r

http://imgur.com/mMxjO9u

So what are peoples' thoughts? Before I get too excited thinking I have some awesome mutation, is there a better explanation? Would an OEBT cull have the red stripes?  The only possible way I can think that they could be OEBT is if some newborn shrimp hitchhiked with some plants or something. But at the same time none of the places I get my plants from carry OEBT. If this is a mutation though, it looks like I have a new breeding project.

Looks to me like you have some sort of mutation.

It's not an BTOE cull.

Looks like the shrimp lack some black color pigmentation, which results in a pale version with red stripes and orange eys. It's not an albino. Albinos have no pigmentation at all.

Congrats :)

TTOE ?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like TTOE for a working name. If I ever establish a viable strain I can rethink that. I think I will move the TTOE to their own 5.5g. They are a little too young to sex, but in case they are males I am thinking about putting a few adult females in. Now of my adults, about 60% have standard TT coloration, and the other 40% are paler like the TTOE. Would it be smart to go with the paler adult females in hopes that they are where the TTOE came from?

When I was going for my double masters in college, one of the things I really enjoyed was the in depth research of albinism.

While in humans albinism often means the absence of color in the hair, eyes and skin because of the genetic inability to produce the pigment melanin, reptiles, amphibians and possibly inverts still retain color because of different pigment markings in the skin/shell.

Amelanistic means the black has been removed, often leaving red eyes and leaving color combinations of red, orange, yellow and white.

Anerythristic is lacking red pigment.

Axanthic is usually referred to as the lack of yellow pigment.

Leucistic is the reduction of all pigments often leaving the animal white with blue eyes.

...and the list goes on.

So your TTOE very well could be amelanistic...providing shrimp produce melanin. (?)

• 5 months later...

Yes an update would be great.  I too have a couple of mutations in my tank too....this time they look very similar to yours, but I don't have any TTs in this tank, just OEBTs and CWB.

I would say they were blonde OEBTs, but the stripes are not black...they have orange eyes too.  I don't think my CWB crossed with the OEBT but then again anything is possible.  Unfortunately they hide a lot and I haven't been able to catch them out in the open all that often, they seem to live inside the driftwood.

Unlike my Blue Marble tiger which I still have, these are very weird looking, and I thought they were something else until I saw the orange eyes and very faint tiger striping!

Maybe we have some sort of throwbacks to the wild tigers going on here.

Post pics if you can so I can see if mine are the same.

Monty- Here is a pic of what popped up in my tank with TTs in it and has got me interested in this thread. Im not sure of what it could be either than a TT that is showing orange eyes. Not sure that happens though. If yours ever show their face i would love to see a pic of them. Hopefully we hear back from this original poster.

20150621_140201.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I got busy with work and school and hadn't visited the site in a while. I wish I had more to update with. Both shrimp are still alive. I believe one is male and one is female. The female has been berried THREE times now, but there have not been any babies. I don't know if the babies somehow all died or if she dropped the eggs or what. The eggs have been a light tan color, which is different from the darker brown that most TT eggs are. I am hoping that she isn't somehow sterile or something. Hasn't been berried in about a month though. Should I add some more normal individuals to the breeder box with these two? And if so, what kinds, like add one female or one male, etc. Anyways, here are some updated pictures. You can see that one of the the shrimp is pale enough that I would maybe think I had a blonde OEBT, but the second shrimp is darker and clearly has the TT coloration.

http://imgur.com/a/pkhS9

Thanks for checking in. So disappointing that they have been able to reproduce. It is nice though that you have both a female and male. Best chance for creating more. I only have 1 and so far not sure what sex as it is still very small. Maybe try a breeder box, cant hurt. I wonder if something about this color mutation makes it sterile, i really hope not. Keep trying and please keep us updated once in awhile. Thanks for the updated pics and for checking in.

I hadnt seen my OETT in awhile but he popped out last night when i fed the tank some of hans special blend food. Definitely growing nicely. Here is the best pic i could snap. I was getting nervous it was gone as my baby survival isn't great.

20150723_230251.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another small update. For a while I had had the shrimp in an in-tank cloth breeder box, but as the holes were starting to grow algae and making it hard to see, I moved them to a Marina HOB which I put on the front of the tank for visibility. A few days later the female became berried for a 3rd time. However after about a week and a half when I checked in on them the eggs were gone again. At this point I am going to split them into two separate breeder boxes. The first will have the male, along with several female regular TTs. I should have done that a while ago. The second box will have the female with a few regular TT males. I think there is a problem with the female, and after 3 dropped clutches in a row I am not expecting much, but I figure there is a slim chance that the problem comes from the mating of this particular male with this particular female. My best bet is with breeding the male to other females, and then breeding those offspring back to the father, etc. Hopefully in a few months I will have a better update.