Artificial hatching

davesays

Just thought I would share my results of me artificially hatching some eggs that I found a molt in my Taiwan bee tank. I have had success hatching eggs that were pretty late term and well developed but these eggs has been in the net for almost 3 full weeks. Don't give up on orphaned eggs!

20141023_183818.jpg

20141023_183800.jpg

The net is suspended over a canister spray bar. I would say the flow into the net is actually pretty high. They get tossed around a bit but I don't think they mind it. Occasionally, I would swirl the net around a bit to prevent the eggs from getting stuck to each other. 

The net is suspended over a canister spray bar. I would say the flow into the net is actually pretty high. They get tossed around a bit but I don't think they mind it. Occasionally, I would swirl the net around a bit to prevent the eggs from getting stuck to each other.

I've tried spray bar but the eggs tend to get stuck in the corners of the net or stick to a side of the net. When I use higher flow, the eggs don't just get tossed around a lot but also get stuck above water. It's really frustrating. I've seen people use stainless steel hatching nets that are round with no corners with good success. Not sure where I can get them though. (Han?)

I've tried spray bar but the eggs tend to get stuck in the corners of the net or stick to a side of the net. When I use higher flow, the eggs don't just get tossed around a lot but also get stuck above water. It's really frustrating. I've seen people use stainless steel hatching nets that are round with no corners with good success. Not sure where I can get them though. (Han?)

Eggs do get stuck around the bottom or sides but I don't think that is a problem. I think as long as water is moving around the eggs you should be fine, they don't need to be constantly tumbling around. 

You have got to let me know how you do this because I'm afraid I may have to if my little female drops her eggs. =(

I mean, like, specifically. xD

Hopefully your yellow mama would not drop her eggs. What would you specifically like to know? =p  

Discarded eggs are collected from either molts or deceased berried females. Eggs can be easily removed with a toothpick, tweezers or clean fingers from the molt or pleopods (a gentle nudge with a toothpick should free the eggs). The eggs themselves are pretty durable, just don't put too much pressure on them when handling. After removal, the eggs goes into my shrimp net that is suspended over the tank. Make sure you have a flow of water going into the net, via filter output or stream of bubbles from an airstone. Make sure the rim of the net is above the surface, you would want to avoid shrimps crawling into the net or have the eggs overflow into the main tank. If all goes right, your eggs will come to term and hatch as they would under the care of their moms. 

I just found three dead shrimplets in the hatching net. Do you think it's the flow or something else?

Were these shrimplets hatched from inside the net or crawled in from the main tank?

I usually release any newborns shortly after they hatch, the constant flow after hatching might stress them out.  

I'm wishing you better luck this time around!

Do you leave the eggs in molt while you incubate or was that just for the picture?

This is the first time I'm trying to keep the molt with the eggs and so far so good. I actually got ANOTHER molt with eggs so I have two molts each with a couple of eggs on them floating in the net. I already removed one shrimplet the last time I checked. :) I also set the flow to extremely low, but with the molt, they circulate just fine. I tried this because I read somewhere that some people don't even remove the dead female (if they got the eggs from dead berried females). Maybe I was somehow damaging the eggs when I tried to remove them. I'm not sure what exactly is the factor here (not removing the eggs or decreasing the flow), but I'm happy with my current results.