Shrimp Room Rack Setups

I had plans  posting good videos showing my rack setups for 2 years already.Unfortunately I haven't found enough time to do videos right way.

So here are the 2 different setups  I use in the shrimp room.

My favorite one : easy to maintain,high number  babies productions,steady parameters.

Cheaper alternative , less space ,living room friendly:

Thanks.

No substrate  space is for feeding.Snails can eat the food without hiding it into substrate + I can take it out very easy.

Mid level -just for water buffering. Highest level has undergravel air driven filter.More substrate = more beneficial bacteria.

Thanks for sharing Plamski! Enjoyed the videos and really like your setup ideas,

You are welcome.

It took me 3 years till I decided that the setup is good enough for my needs and fit my maintenance limits.

Now I have to replace floss in prefilters once every 3 months when Purigen get old and Eheim canister filters once a year.

Water parameters are dead steady.

Plamski, am I seeing mesh covered ports on the dividers in the 4x10g divided 40g? How does this work to keep the water quality consistant across the divisions? I've been deciding to go with this design or 3 curved HMFs behind glass panels that extend from the front to about 6 inches from the back.

I like SS mesh so far. The setup is running 3-4 years already.

Babies can't go true.Water circulation is good. With Eheim 2217 and 2 prefilters-/they probably are slowing the flow a little bit/  I can't see difference in the levels in any of the 4 sections.If you notice my holes are front,back,front so water can do zig-zag .Sponge filters are movinfg a lot of water too,so no dead spots.

I've never tried  HMFs model but somehow I don't like the idea at all. When the sponge get clogged how you are clean it without letting shrimps in other section. Will it stop babies from traveling in other section-if you like to do selective breeding?

There are members reporting great results with it,though.

On 7/4/2016 at 3:08 PM, plamski said:

I like SS mesh so far. The setup is running 3-4 years already.

Babies can't go true.Water circulation is good. With Eheim 2217 and 2 prefilters-/they probably are slowing the flow a little bit/  I can't see difference in the levels in any of the 4 sections.If you notice my holes are front,back,front so water can do zig-zag .Sponge filters are movinfg a lot of water too,so no dead spots.

I've never tried  HMFs model but somehow I don't like the idea at all. When the sponge get clogged how you are clean it without letting shrimps in other section. Will it stop babies from traveling in other section-if you like to do selective breeding?

There are members reporting great results with it,though.

I love HMF but would not recommend it for dividing tanks into sections. I have seen shrimp crawl over the top of the HMF but for individual tanks its great. Babies cannot get through a 30-40ppi HMF.  As for cleaning the HMF, it can take years for the sponge to get clogged. My tanks will need to be tore down due to soil being depleted before the sponge needs to be cleaned. I use a python water changer to clean my HMF once every 3-4 months. I cut my python tube down so its 3 inches long and press it up against the HMF and this does a pretty good job.

20 minutes ago, plamski said:

What can be better than having  different options for succeed breeding the shrimps?

Only......... more options:jig:

I agree and love your setup. I'm very happy with the shrimps I purchased from you this spring.