Puddles Shrimp Food

Puddles

Hi everyone, welcome to Puddles new organic shrimp food. This food is home made by me using only certified organic products by growers here in the central coast of California. I’ve crafted these foods based on the needs of both caridina and neocaridina shrimp. You can check out my thread in the “Journal” section to get a feel for what goes into this and how I successfully made my first batch.

It doesn’t make sense to me why we send all our money to foreign shrimp food manufacturers when fresh, organic food can be made right here. These companies don’t even tell you what is in the food half the time. You’ll know exactly what is in my food because I come right out and tell you!

This food is difficult and time consuming to make, but is worth it to me because I think it can really benefit our community. It’s really a labor of love, and I hope it works as well for you as it does for me and others who have tried it.

Please read shipping and payment information at the bottom of this post.

Veggie Gold

Veggie Gold is my everyday shrimp food. It can be fed to your shrimp over and over again and provides all the nutrition they need to thrive and breed. I have been feeding it to my neos, crystals, goldens, and Taiwan Bees and they’ve never been better. It contains 18 ingredients, including premium ingredients such as bee pollen and montmorilite clay

Ingredients:

Soy beans, sweet peas, spirulina, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, kelp, cauliflower, rainbow chard, Montmorillite, brewers yeast, broccoli, kale, barley grass, spinach, arugula, alfalfa leaf, stinging nettle leaf, bell pepper, bee pollen

Nutrition:

Fat: 8.76%
Protein: 31.28%
Fiber: 12.10%

10 grams $6, 20 grams $10. 10 grams is a good amount and 20 grams will last for a while (depending on how your Multiple Tank Syndrome is going of course :))

IMG_2057_zps31edc619.jpg

VeggieGold_zps6f313d52.jpg

shrimpspotcherrieseatinggold_zpsde7f7dcd

You’ll notice in the ingredient lists below that each one contains a little bit of “base mix.” The foods below are a little more specialized than Veggie Gold, aimed at supplying a vitamin boost, color boost, etc. I add the base mix to ensure that in addition to these specific purposes, they provide some all around nutrition as well. The base mix is composed of the following:

Alfalfa leaf, barley grass, brewers yeast, gingko biloba, stinging nettles, and a veggie blend.

Bee’s Knees

Bee pollen is the world’s first “superfood.” It provides 30-40% protein (dependent on the bee hive), 12 vitamins, and 28 minerals. It contains all essential amino acids and contains a resin that has antibacterial properties. It improves breeding and shrimplet survival rate. Lots of people feed powdered bee pollen to their baby shrimp, why stop when they’re adults?

Ingredients: Bee pollen, sunburst squash, soy beans, base mix

10 grams $6, 20 grams $10.

BeesKnees_zps42b7d021.jpg

Natural Calcium

Everyone knows our shrimp require calcium for optimal shell growth and to prevent molting issues. Many food companies make a calcium heavy food for this reason, but use lesser ingredients and then add powdered calcium to it. I disagree with that method, and have crafted a food using the highest calcium vegetables there are. Did you know collard greens have more calcium per serving than milk? This is a high calcum food that provides excellent overall nutrition because it’s made with pure healthy ingredients.

Ingredients:

Collard greens, dinosaur kale, parsley, base mix

NaturalCalcium_zpsb2e57f1e.jpg

Fresh Carrot

Fresh Carrot is a blend of carrots and pepper that provides a big boost of vitamin A and beta carotenes to improve color. Beta carotenes can improve the red, orange, and yellow coloration in shrimp. Bell peppers in particular contain 30 different members of the carotenoid nutrient family. Not an everyday food but a great weekly booster. The food color is a little greenish from the carrot greens and base mix but is a deep reddish orange in person.

Ingredients: Carrot (including greens), red bell pepper, soy beans, base mix

FreshCarrot_zpsc54a2f33.jpg

Kelp Plus

Kelp Plus is a kelp (seaweed) based food with some mineral and nutritional supplements. The kelp used here grows along the Pacific coast. This food is an all around vitamin and mineral booster. I think of it like one of us taking a multivitamin. Kelp contains over 70 vitamins and minerals, and I add a bit of montmorillonite for even more minerals.

Ingredients:

Kelp, spinach, montmorillonite, base mix

10 grams $5, 20 grams $9.

KelpPlus_zps7399e76b.jpg

Some stuffy talk so we both stay safe:

Payment is via Paypal only. Please do not send money as a “gift,” that complicates things on my end. Your address needs to be correct in Paypal, I cannot refund your money because your address was incorrect in Paypal. I ship all orders next day. Shipping is $2 for small orders and increases with the size of order.

Please private message me your order. I will confirm your order and shipping cost at that time. Please send payment same day that you order, I cannot hold your order more than a day. If you need an invoice to pay to then I can do that for you.

Bee pollen: Numbers a little different than above because I have checked a few more sources and the following is kind of an average of those sources:

Vitamins: Provitamin A, B-1 Thiamin, B-2 Riboflavin, B-3 Nancin, B-5, B-6 Pyridoxine, B-12 (cyanocobalamine), Pantothenic acid, Vitamin C, F, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin H, Vitamin K, Vitamin PP, Folic Acid, Choline, Inositol, Rutin.

Minerals: Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Iron, Copper, Iodine, Zinc, Sulfur, Sodium, Chlorine, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Boron, Silica, and Titanium.

These are the specifics I have found. Multiple sources cite the following: at least 22 amino acids, 18 vitamins, 25 minerals, 59 trace elements, 11 enzymes or co-enzymes, 14 fatty acids. I know that's not an exact answer but because bee pollen is an organically made product it can vary by hive. Again, slightly different numbers than above because I found some new sources.