Carbon Rili deaths

Hey guys,

I ordered 11 from a fellow out in ID about 2 months ago, all arrived and acclimated well. They are in a 10 gallon by themselves. I'm now down to 4, it seems like one by one they just die. I've had no problems in my cherry tanks, water parameters are perfect (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, minimal nitrate, the tank has a bunch of duckweed, cabomba and subwassertang, change out a couple gallons of water a week.) We have extremely hard water with PH around 8-8.2. Is there something about these I don't know about? Or any ideas? 

The tank has a preset heater that keeps it at 74 degrees verified by thermometer. I do not have a GH/KH test kit. I have a 55g tank with hundreds of happy, breeding RCS. Are the carbon rili not as hardy as RCS?

I set it up a few days before the shrimp arrived. The substrate was new but I filled it from my 55g and used a sponge filter from that tank. There were no immediate deaths, the first wasn't until over a month later. It was a berried female, not too alarming. Then another and another. Just not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

A couple berried girls got white around their underside where the eggs were. I'm wondering if I'm losing all berried females. I had three, possibly four and now none, although they could have hatched the eggs and I wouldn't know it. I scraped the eggs from the first one that died and added them to the tank when they hatched. Of course with the black eco complete substrate I've only spotted one a couple times, if there are a bunch of babies they are TOUGH to see. 

I rounded up the 5 carbon rili I could find and put them in my 5 gallon holding tank, its bare bottom with a sponge filter and tons of java moss. I took the 8-10 RCS I had in there and put them in the 10 gallon cursed tank to see what happens. Should I look into a GH/KH test kit? Is the API liquid the most reliable? 

I would get the gh kit for sure.  You don't necessarily need it on a regular basis, but when trouble shooting it is one more tool to add to your arsenal.  Liquid is preferable over stick for sure.

I'm wondering if it was bacterial.  Inside the body, do you see any cloudiness/opaqueness?  Do you see broken antennae?

The remaining shrimp look fine, clear where they are clear, crisp black colors on the rest. There is at least one saddled female left, a couple are all black and too small to sex by size. If it were bacterial do you just wait it out and the strong survive? I'm curious to see if anything happens to the cherries I put in the cursed tank. 

It doesn't look like the big box pet stores stock GH kits. I will probably get the API GH/KH kit off Amazon. Can someone recommend a TDS meter they carry as well? 

nixona,

Your tank wasn't cycled and that is why the carbons died. Than again they lived for a month but it takes a tank a bit to stabilize . My water PH is also very high and the shrimp thrive and breed.  I use regular tap water (de-chlorinated)

nixona,

Your tank wasn't cycled and that is why the carbons died. Than again they lived for a month but it takes a tank a bit to stabilize . My water PH is also very high and the shrimp thrive and breed. I use regular tap water (de-chlorinated)

Also what I was thinking. I've kept shrimp in uncycled tanks but you will almost always have casualties could Be from a number of things. Chances are it's from that.

I threw some cherries in that tank. With the small bioload of a few shrimp its possible. I have a GH/kh test and TDs meter coming tomorrow. What can I put in there to increase bioload without bullying shrimp? Stick to otos, guppy fry?