I have cray too

randy

I don't have a particular feelings about crayfish. They are cute in their own way but they require too big a tank, and my shrimproom is already too crowded. However, occasionally I would fall in the trap of the love of crayfish.

Here is a pair (clarkii "ghost") in love ;-)

20140728_232102_zpsfyu5gurv.jpg

The male.

clarkiighost_zps2b435000.jpg

Also have this pair of Cherax destructor. This pair is from an Asian breeder who has worked on them for generation to bring out the better colour. I know nothing about crayfish, but after I saw the picture I decided to pay 5 times more to get this pair. Wouldn't you agree they are just lovely?

The guy.

20140804_225001_zpsfcb8ebb0.jpg

The gal.

20140804_225007_zps063850b5.jpg

Love the great colors on that Cherax male . Is the pair together , if so no problems?

Did you get any babies from your ghost Clarki yet?   That is another morph which I like a lot but not common .

The Cherax are together, they don't mind each other but they are really good in escaping.

I.just started.to.try breeding ghost. They were in a community tank until a.few.weeks.ago.

Wow so nice!

How big are they? Both types

Clarkii ghosts are the typical American Crayfish size. The cherax can get to 12" but typical is about 8".

Randy,

Thanks . Another person here also had a Cherax and he lost his (passed away) due to escaping . I never thought you could keep even a pair together .

I only have a pair...and only for a few weeks. Now they are spoken for by a friend. Thought I could keep them and try breeding them.

Those are the reason we are not allowed to keep craws in  SA they are in some of our dams and wreaking havoc I just never seem to see or be able to catch them. BTW how do you catch wild craw?

When I was a kid my dad and I would catch wild crays by tying a long string around a small piece of raw bacon. The crays would run out to grab it and once they grabbed on just pull it out of the water and into the bucket. We did pure catch and release.

"how do you catch wild craw?"

Sound like a setup for a joke. LOL

Heheehee yeah it does doesn't it.Sounds easy enough to catch thanks guys is there specific places that they are more likely to be found eg near rocks?

Apparently the name C.Destructor is not totally accurate they are apparently not very aggro unless you are a yellow fish egg.Is this true?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Hehehe luckily we don't have racoons but we do have huge freshwatwer otters and mlonitor lizards that may steal it.

Thanks for the advice though will try it.

The monitors is not at all nice if you are a chicken farmer,if you farm fish then the otters is definately not something you want lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Awwwww man, I have been looking for destructors forever.  If your friend has any luck breeding them, let me know.

They are still in my place waiting to be shipped....hopefully they would give me a batch before they leave. They are pretty horny if you know what I mean. ;-)