16 day (2 day) priority mail

Soothing Shrimp

So I sent a shrimp package out to Oceangal Dec 14.  She had told me her new address, however when packing up multiple boxes for shipping that day, I forgot and used the address that was on her paypal.

The box arrived days late at her old house and a note was that it was going to be returned to me.  During this time she and I figured out what happened and I was going to make everything right.  Just a scatterbrained mistake easily corrected.

Yesterday she contacted me.  Apparently the box was forwarded to her new address and arrived 16 days later....

Every single shrimp is alive and is drip acclimating now!  Goes to show a two punch- breather bag and over insulation (especially in this weather)- works!  Christmas Miracle. :)

That's really impressive! I'm glad they made it. Given how spotty and unreliable delivery services to my house are, perhaps I should make it a point to order from you when I want shrimp, since obviously you've got both hardy shrimp and excellent packing skills ;)

Let me tell you. I drip acclimated them all for 3 hrs last night and not one of them gave even much of a fuss! They are all alive and well TODAY! Impeccable Packing if I do say so myself! The moss in the bags with them green as can be also. I also just learned a little something. In Florida when They forward your mail, they send it to the Main Sorting branch in Tampa/Miami area. My package traveled 2 times the length of Florida in addition to traveling from Illinois! Those are some TOUGH shrimp, and great packaging!

Let me tell you. I drip acclimated them all for 3 hrs last night and not one of them gave even much of a fuss! They are all alive and well TODAY! Impeccable Packing if I do say so myself! The moss in the bags with them green as can be also. I also just learned a little something. In Florida when They forward your mail, they send it to the Main Sorting branch in Tampa/Miami area. My package traveled 2 times the length of Florida in addition to traveling from Illinois! Those are some TOUGH shrimp, and great packaging!

I'm glad they are doing well for you, my friend. :)

Thanks for the additional info on their travel!

I am glad they made it there safely!  I had one go missing for a week and showed up fine but then had 2 orders to the same guy arrive DOA after 3 days :(

When well packaged shrimps will be all right ....I've had Rcs shipped and couldn't survive a 4 days trip with poorly packaging  and I have a 27 days international shipment where all the shrimp made it alive...heating pack,stir foam and kordon bags made all the difference..and that was in dicember

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar experience when I was not told about the changed address . It took 30 days for them to get back to me ( I sent replacement's out after a week or 2 )  and to my surprise all were alive and even more amazing the Naja Grass was alive and Java Moss was as green as could be . The shrimp were Crs SS if I recall . As long as they are out of extremes of the weather and in a breather bag and have been purged prior to shipping , I guess there is no reason they should not be alive . Cool and Dark not much happens biologically speaking I guess :) . Good insulation is definitely usefull no matter what season of the year .

It may not matter much as you say they have such a small bioload . But in heat it could make a difference . Again nothing scientific but heat and waste can create ammonia and then 1 dies more ammonia and on and on . So maybe just a precaution . It may be more of an issue in plastic rather than breather bags . I wonder if  the membrane in breathers  let's out ammonia , Does anyone know the answer to that ?

"I wonder if  the membrane in breathers  let's out ammonia"

Now THAT is one of the best questions I have heard yet! It would explain a lot.

Personal observation: When I've had breather bags arrive to me it may have the occasional 1 or 2 dead shrimp and none of the rest seem to be affected.  When plastic bags arrive to me, if one shrimp is dead, the others seem to be ammonia poisoned.  I have absolutely no idea why.  I've also had more shrimp arrive dead to me in plastic bags than breathers.  Totally weird!  That's why I use breather bags.  Even if it makes myself feel better using it, it's worth it to me.