12g vs three 5g

Duff0712

Sigh...

Once I spotted the Mr. Aqua 12g I was in love. Well my MTS senses were tingling at least. I have been really wanting to get it for a few months now for the Shrimp stand/shelving i'll be putting up soon. However, I have been having thoughts that for breeding, three 5 gallon tanks would be better suited instead of one larger tank. I would get get all 4 of them if I could but I am limited on my space. Do you guys think I should go for the 12g bookshelf tank or would it be better to do three of the 5 gallon tanks?

I plan to do TB's, not really sure which ones yet :/ and I have always wanted to do Orange eye blue tigers. I feel like the three 5gs would be better in case I wanted to do selective breeding, but a larger tank with several different TB's would be pretty cool I think. UGH, help me out haha.

I have many 5.5G and they do well for me. The most I have is one started with 10 BTOE and OEBT mix, now with 200-250 OEBTs and BTOEs in there. If space is limited then multiple small tanks is the way to go if you want to keep more species.

You can also have them share water supply by chaining the tanks together thru siphons. I have 3 x 8 Gallon tanks connected together to look like a really long tank.

I also have acrylic dividers in each tank so it looks like 6 separate tanks, but running on 1 canister filter.

I've been playing with that idea.  Are you able to get some pics?

You can also have them share water supply by chaining the tanks together thru siphons. I have 3 x 8 Gallon tanks connected together to look like a really long tank.

I also have acrylic dividers in each tank so it looks like 6 separate tanks, but running on 1 canister filter.

If I were you, I'd go with multiple tanks but try to see if you can fit three 10G tanks or at least two. 5G ones are kinda small for TBs I think.

If I could get 10's I would. I have a gallon limit which sucks but trying to my best to obey it

Yea that sucks. I had to leave my previous apartment once when they found out I was using a whole bedroom as a fish room. Use the 5's then. You just have to be extra careful with water parameters. Good luck and keep us posted!

agu4ageg.jpg

Here it is. Still cycling tho.

Interesting, how to prevent shrimp migrate from tank to tanks? 

for those siphons, you built it or bought it from some place?

Tanks are 60x30x18. Acrylic dividers with holes patched with mesh keep water flow but prevent shrimps from migrating. Siphons are 4 sets of clear pvc pipes per section. Less pipes will make water levels uneven. The pipes also have sponge at the intake part

Tanks are 60x30x18. Acrylic dividers with holes patched with mesh keep water flow but prevent shrimps from migrating. Siphons are 4 sets of clear pvc pipes per section. Less pipes will make water levels uneven. The pipes also have sponge at the intake part

Clear PVC parts are expensive.

but would you mind to share a link? I can't find good source of it.

I have these aluminum housed lights that sit on top of each tank i cant remember the brand but its 60cm long. (Costed more than the tank) im going to place them once the tank is cycled.

Clear pvc 90 deg elbows are expensive! But i need to be able to see thru them to check for air bubble buildup and make sure the siphon is working. I got them from zoro.com they deliver superfast.

I have these aluminum housed lights that sit on top of each tank i cant remember the brand but its 60cm long. (Costed more than the tank) im going to place them once the tank is cycled.

Clear pvc 90 deg elbows are expensive! But i need to be able to see thru them to check for air bubble buildup and make sure the siphon is working. I got them from zoro.com they deliver superfast.

I built couple overflow pipe with regular CPVC pipe. I was looking for the clear PVC part, but can't find the whole sets. will check zoro.com

thanks