small air pump

F1 mischling from Sbarbee54

post-231-0-32412500-1407875139_thumb.jpg

will cycle the tank for a month.

I like the tank mate!

Thanks, buddy.

try to make it as simple as possible.

Here is my breeding plan.

I got F1 mischling, so I count all offspring as F2. I will keep all TB, and cull CRS/CBS type shrimp.

I need two tanks to do this.

once I have enough TB, I will remove the mischling males. and replace it with TB male.

third stage, which is not in the chart, I will remove all mischling, only keep TB.

post-231-0-15462700-1408043400_thumb.png

what do you think?

Are you going to be keeping TB females in the second stage? I'd say it looks good but the flow chart is a bit confusing as I'm not sure what each "stage" means. What are the two tanks for?

stage is the phase of my breeding program.

I will run the first stage for couple months, until I have good number of TB.

I will keep mischling in one tank and TB in second tank, and let them grow out. so mischling male x TB female won't happen.

in the second stage, I will remove all mischling males. so I will have only mischling female, TB female and TB male.

I can keep all in one tank. any offspring looks like CRS/CBS would be culled.

Later in third stage, I will keep one TB tank with mix type and one tank for WR only. I love WR, :)

stage is the phase of my breeding program.

I will run the first stage for couple months, until I have good number of TB.

I will keep mischling in one tank and TB in second tank, and let them grow out. so mischling male x TB female won't happen.

in the second stage, I will remove all mischling males. so I will have only mischling female, TB female and TB male.

I can keep all in one tank. any offspring looks like CRS/CBS would be culled.

Later in third stage, I will keep one TB tank with mix type and one tank for WR only. I love WR, :)

Sounds good! By second stage, you can also do one tank with male and female TBs, and the other with male TBs and female mischlings. Just an idea.

Sounds good! By second stage, you can also do one tank with male and female TBs, and the other with male TBs and female mischlings. Just an idea.

Yes, if I get a lot TB males.

• 2 weeks later...

Tested water parameters 3 days ago, here are the results

NH4/NH3=0, NO2=0

post-231-0-26890100-1409083079_thumb.jpg

NO3=80ppm

post-231-0-95537000-1409083107_thumb.jpg

Very interested in this, I'll be watching for your results!

When you say 'cull', do you literally mean kill or do you just remove from the experimental gene pool and sell/give away? 

I've got quite a few F1s that have had offspring, but I haven't done anything about removing them at all. Now I'm not sure what I have...

Good Luck!

Very interested in this, I'll be watching for your results!

When you say 'cull', do you literally mean kill or do you just remove from the experimental gene pool and sell/give away? 

I've got quite a few F1s that have had offspring, but I haven't done anything about removing them at all. Now I'm not sure what I have...

Good Luck!

cull means removing from the gene pool.

because no way can tell it is mischling or regular CRS/CBS. if keep it in the tank, you will get less mischling and more regular CRS/CBS over time.

Phew! Thanks for clearing that up. 

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of these mischling guys and I had no idea that's what you called them. Is there really no way to distinguish between the types? I believe I have a few CBS with very well defined striping but could they turn out just to be well coloured hybrids?

Sorry for the questions on your thread! :)

So James this is the cycling tank you have the two CRS you told me about lol. 

That's correct, I put it in around day 7, they are doing fine.

eventually it lost its coloration in this very soft water.

NO3 is pretty high now, will do a big water change once cycling is done.

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of these mischling guys and I had no idea that's what you called them. Is there really no way to distinguish between the types? I believe I have a few CBS with very well defined striping but could they turn out just to be well coloured hybrids?

No problem. it's mischling related topic.

the only way to guarantee it's mischling, it must be the F1 of TB x Crystal (CRS/CBS/Golden/SnowWhite).

for the second generation F2. if mischling x mischling, it would produce regular Crystal, mischling and TB. no way you can tell is mischling or Crystal. it looks same.

that's why I only keep TB, and cull others.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is cycled. will perform a big water change over the weekend.

NO3 is pretty high right now, but my CRS still survived for 3 weeks.

post-231-0-62675500-1410551309_thumb.jpg

My mischling is ready to move in.

Share couple photos of mischling. currently it lives in my PRL tank.

post-231-0-64415900-1410551212_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-76463200-1410551218_thumb.jpg

A lot of people,cull. Never heard of anyone killing them most just sell the culls off. If you do though be clear in your ad that they are culls and why you don't want them. They maybe the thing someone else has been looking for!