For those who have racks or large tanks with sumps for filtration: What do you guys use as sumps for your shrimp racks? Ive seen some rubbermaid ones, thinking of making a diy sump but curious how some of you configure your sumps and what you make them out of.

Im a bit skeptical about the filtration of sump setups for shimp, and there is not much material online regarding people using sumps for shrimp racks.

However since i do want shared water supply, and easy water changes, im leaning towards making a shrimp rack with overflow to a rubbermaid sump with no filtration, then adding in cansiters to the whole setup for filtration.

I'll then use the sump purely for water changes. Plus i can put most of the ADA soil in the sump to buffer PH and keep my tanks with a thinner layer of soil. Also i can probably put a bunch of plants in the sump to help export nitrites too.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Dumb idea?

I am about to put a system on a sump. The big pro is water volume and it make's testing the system easy, the big con if something goes wrong in the system you could lose  shrimp if not all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

That is alot of the reason that I have been setting up this saltwater tank. I wanted to learn how the sumps function well then I can design a breeding system to incorporate a sump. I would probably keep racks of just one kind of shrimp or species with selective breeding going. Would make culling and moving the shrimp to other tanks quick since they are on the same system. My buddy just picked up a betta rack which would be great for shrimp. It had the same Americle sump that I am using for my sump.