Advices for shipping shrimp

JamesHe

I will ship out some CRS next week. 1/2" in size.

I never did it before, so try to get some tips regarding shrimp shipping.

I will use breather bag.

question:

1, number of shrimp per bag?

2, how much water per bag

3, Purigen or active carbon in the bag?

4, seems no need for cold pack and heat pack for now

5, size of mail box preferred

6, USPS, Fedex, UPS? which one you prefer?

Update:

Shipped out couple boxes last week, without any issues. all arrived within 2 days with USPS priority mail. Here is what I did:

Insulation fiber, I found it at Lowes about $9, it's good for 30-40 shipments:

post-231-0-37061400-1410210085_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-55635700-1410210089_thumb.jpg

Couple free 7x7x6 priority boxes from USPS, if you can't find it at local USPS office, you can order it online for free and send to your doorsteps.

post-231-0-86944000-1410210092_thumb.jpg

Add some fiber at bottom before put in the ice pack

post-231-0-74598000-1410210097_thumb.jpg

Ice pack added:

post-231-0-76431600-1410210102_thumb.jpg

Covered with more fiber:

post-231-0-34978000-1410210108_thumb.jpg

Breather bag with one cup of water, 10-15 shrimps:

post-231-0-98212600-1410210111_thumb.jpg

Wrap with towel:

post-231-0-11417900-1410210118_thumb.jpg

Fill up with more fiber:

post-231-0-38843900-1410210121_thumb.jpg

It's about 1lbs 10oz:

post-231-0-52840800-1410210402_thumb.jpg

I did two bags in this 7x7x6 box, if you have more bag to ship in single box, I will use 

Priority Mail Regional Rate Box - A1

size: 10" x 7" x 4-3/4"

BTW, when handling fiber, please wear a mask. it's dusty.

I use the 7x7x6 priority boxes through USPS.  I think the breather bags are the 5x7 ones (smallest ones).  I use 1 cup of water and would put 10-15 shrimp that size in it.  I usually use Styrofoam to line the box and then wrap the bag in newspaper.  If I just have one bag the box comes out to just under 1 lb.  I don't add any carbon, purigen or anything else.

I will ship out about 28 shrimps with express.

if my bag is big enough to hold two cups of water, should I put them together?

I wouldn't put them all together. I would do at least 2 bags. For a few reasons. First, less waste in each bag. Second, if something happens to the bag you don't loose all the shrimp. I only do 10 shrimps per Kordon Breather bags if they are sub/adults, but I use the small bags. If they are tiny then of coarse you can put more in. Thats just me, I'm sure you'll get more advise.

Scott

I wouldn't put them all together. I would do at least 2 bags. For a few reasons. First, less waste in each bag. Second, if something happens to the bag you don't loose all the shrimp. I only do 10 shrimps per Kordon Breather bags if they are sub/adults, but I use the small bags. If they are tiny then of coarse you can put more in. Thats just me, I'm sure you'll get more advise.

Scott

it's about 1/2" in size.

Personally, I would do 2 bags of 14. These are breather bags right?

Scott

Yes, I will try the 7x10 Ultimate breather bag.

you convince me, will do two bags.

shrimp are always eating so I don't think you can effectively starve them and I don't think it is beneficial to do so even if you could.

In a way I feed them before shipping.  I actually put in food to draw them out into the open, so I can nab them.

I do this also if the tank is not just a breeding tank. My breeding tanks dont have much in them. Just 1 piece of wood with moss and a couple rocks with moss so they are pretty easy to find. If its a tank that is more planted like my PRL tank then I'll use some food to get them out also, but they don't have much time to eat before I grab them.

shrimp are always eating so I don't think you can effectively starve them and I don't think it is beneficial to do so even if you could.

Well, I can net out one day earlier into empty breeding box, then put in bag before shipping.

Well, I can net out one day earlier into empty breeding box, then put in bag before shipping.

I think that would just stress them out. Gotta figure the journey is stressful enough.

I think that would just stress them out. Gotta figure the journey is stressful enough.

Ok, then just stop feeding the day before. they should have something to eat in the tank.

I would think, you would want to put a little bit of moss in too for them. Not a lot, just a little bit of moss in the

bag with them to hang on to, or hide under, or pick at when they are stressed. 

I would think, you would want to put a little bit of moss in too for them. Not a lot, just a little bit of moss in the

bag with them to hang on to, or hide under, or pick at when they are stressed. 

that's a good advice.

I did put few stem of star grass in it.

got my postage scale last night. 86 lbs/0.1oz, it's overkill.

I'm all set.

so far, five shipments without any issue.

priority is pretty fast. longest one is 2 days.

thanks all for the good tips.

Would this be a good sticky? There's a few threads on this topic already or a good article? I can write one up if you guys are wanting something?

I think an article sticky would be great, to help out us that are just starting out. Also, does someone have a video about how to package and ship? For some of us (like me), words only do so much and being able to see helps a lot more.

I think an article sticky would be great, to help out us that are just starting out. Also, does someone have a video about how to package and ship? For some of us (like me), words only do so much and being able to see helps a lot more.

I did take couple photo for the packing procedures, I will upload it later.