What makes a Shadow Mosura TB?

Doc4PC2

I was wondering if anyone knows what to breed in order to get a Shadow Mosura TB?

Would that be a Blue Bolt and Panda,

or Blue Bolt and King Kong

or Blue Bolt and Blue Panda?

Wow, so it can go all the way back to a CRS / CBS cross, and be Blue Bolt and Panda?  

That must be why they are expensive and hard to find.

Wow, so it can go all the way back to a CRS / CBS cross, and be Blue Bolt and Panda?  

That must be why they are expensive and hard to find.

My understanding is that you need cross shadow TB with mosura CRS/CBS, then selective breeding mischlings until get mosura shadow TB.

regular shadow TB doesn't have mosura gene in it.

It was a mutation in the lines somewhere, I have heard alot of conflicting information, led me to beleive that it just showed up like half the other TB and they selective bred the breed until it was stable. I was told blue bolt and cbs the last time but I am not even sure at this point. I have two and I am pretty sure that it had bred for me but havent had the babies hatch.

I would start with BKK with mosura pattern mischlings. Or, just get mosura TB ;-)

One warning is if you cross mosura TB with mosura TB, you will end up more BB like shrimps or even the shrimps that look like golden. To revert that, cross them with Hinomaru TB to reduce the number of golden looking shrimps.

I love the ones with flowerhead pattern (like the one on the right).

20140803_213154_zpscnltax0a.jpg

Yeah, those are the ones I like too with the flower head pattern on it's head, so I guess I will have just

experiment and selective breed. Maybe start with a Blue Bolt and  SSS CBS, or a Blue Bolt and

Blue Panda.  

So even if you have a male and female Shadow Mosura, you would not want to breed them together, to get more?

You would need to breed them with Blue Bolts or SSS CBS?

So even if you have a male and female Shadow Mosura, you would not want to breed them together, to get more?

You would need to breed them with Blue Bolts or SSS CBS?

Doc, breeding a male Shadow Mosura x female Shadow Mosura will definitely give you more Shadow Mosura. What I was trying to say is if you keep this going then you will start to get more and more golden-looking babies. When that happens, you can cross them back to Shadow Panda in Hinomaru pattern to reduce the ratio of the golden-looking babies.

It's probably easier to understand if you map BKK to CBS, WR to CRS, and BB to golden. When you cross SSS CRS x SSS CRS, you will get more golden. If you cross the SSS CRS to SS CRS then you will more SSS CRS that have "less" golden gene. Of course, that's assuming if these CRS aren't pure line.

And to make it harder to understand, there is so called "pure line" TB now (TB that breed true to their phenotype). Applied that to the statement above, you shouldn't have to worry about the golden-looking offspring as much. But I have not seen "pure line" shadow mosura myself or heard anyone having them.

What pure line TBs do you know of Randy, and what's the price tag?

Too much. The one breeder I know is in Japan, the wholesale is over USD $200ea so of course I don't have any. This breeder only uses TB x TB and only the same pattern. And he selectively breeds them to all have full colour coverage on legs.

For me, I like having consistent lines so I can concentrate on improving strains. :)

When we have more and more hobbyists with this thinking like you, this hobby will be at a different level.

Many people like to go for new strains because they are, errr, new and exciting. But working on the existing strains and improve on them is something that takes a long time without much reward. I'm still working on getting my flowerhead line better after two years and I have to say I haven't accomplished much so far, I'm still on it though. I'm getting some K14 from Germany but still debating should I add them to my existing colony that I have worked on for 2 years.

In my opinion, stick with the ones you have.  Sounds like weird advice, huh? However consider that you have been working to isolate and shrink down the bell curve by slowly getting the modifiers into place.  It's taken two years to do this.  Any new blood at this point will spread the modifiers out again and you'll have to start over.

However I understand your frustration.  Some projects are just aggravating!  I have been working on BBRR for at least 2 years and have very little to show for it.  Sure I have blue in most, however it is so light- it may as well be RR.

When we have more and more hobbyists with this thinking like you, this hobby will be at a different level.

Many people like to go for new strains because they are, errr, new and exciting. But working on the existing strains and improve on them is something that takes a long time without much reward. I'm still working on getting my flowerhead line better after two years and I have to say I haven't accomplished much so far, I'm still on it though. I'm getting some K14 from Germany but still debating should I add them to my existing colony that I have worked on for 2 years.

I agree completely. It's just much more profitable for overseas breeder to spend time mashing genetics together and selling off a strain than working hard to perfect a strain. This is why new shrimps entering the hobby today do not breed true (e.g. Bloody Mary).

Sellers are more inclined to make a quick buck and buyer are compulsive and tend to buy into anything new and exciting.

Look at Randy's and soothing's comment. They've spend so much time breeding for a specific trait and they're a very little to show for it. Profit is the name of the game.

This method works because people do fall for it. Not saying it's good or bad, just stating the facts. Hell, I get excited whenever I see a new shrimp introduced to the hobby, but I look at my wallet and then remember I'm broke. hahaha.

It's sad that large breeders are doing this now, too.  I think it puts many people off shrimping when first entering the hobby.

I think hobbyists take it much more seriously.  Heck, I could have sold my Nessies or Sapphires years ago, for instance.  However as a hobbyist, I want people to have a color that breeds true!

It's sad that large breeders are doing this now, too. I think it puts many people off shrimping when first entering the hobby.

I think hobbyists take it much more seriously. Heck, I could have sold my Nessies or Sapphires years ago, for instance. However as a hobbyist, I want people to have a color that breeds true!

True. It's sad, but there's a lot if factors at play.

1. Imagine a market where prices can be so volatile that a neo can be 10$/ea and then less than 2$/ea. Then imagine the markets in Germany, Japan, Taiwan and the numerous small breeders you're comprising against.

2. Because of the many outlets of breeders, duplicate projects can be worked at once (eg. Red rili were worked simultaneously by a Taiwan and Germany breeder, neither knew of this).

3. Imagine you're perfecting a project (green neos) and it's taking you years to perfect. Then come along another person whose also working on the same project and beats you to to punch. Imagine the impact to you. Worst off, imagine you're a big farm, and a small time breeder beats you to the punch.

4. Shrimps are so easy to breed it's almost a zero-sum game. Once you breed something and distribute it to others, everyone who can successfully breed these would potentially become a competitor. You're better off coming up with a new trick to sell (renaming, marketing gimmick, or develop and entirely new strain).

Sadly, most take this route. They either toss something together really quickly to sell or rename it to milk profits.

Many times, those beautiful pictures we see online and in photos represent the 1%. A majority of the unseen population looks nowhere near the one pictured. Show the best, sell the rest. [emoji52]

For me, I just like the shadow mosura. I am not into this to make money. I am doing this for

My own personal hobby like my other aquatics. If I were to sell some, it would just go right

Back into what I want with my shrimp. I am not doing this to make a business, I just

Like the hobby. I want to raise certain breeds for myself and my own tanks, not to sell.

But I would like to see some Shrimp shows here in the US like what they do in Europe,

So you could bring in your best shrimp and show them off. That would be fun, and

You could show off your best breed shrimp.