39g Saltwater Mantis Shrimp

ctaylor3737

Im thinking of setting up a saltwater tank for marine inverts... But im still intimidated by a salt tank lol

The initial startup might be alarming. If you do it right its no more than a decent freshwater tank.

Buy the biggest you can afford, a sump is really the best way to go. Return pumps are pretty cheap.

Live rock, do not buy from a store. I found mine for 1$ a lb. Stores was 6-8$ lol. Craigslist is a must and patience.

Refracto, good test kit and decent lighting is all i used. You can spend much more obviously easy but just gotta set a budget and stay there. Mixing salt is easy, first time sucks but you become a pro. Water changes weekly and cycle the tank. Add a few power heads because rock is your filter.

Looks great! Great rockwork for a reef;-)

@countryboy beware tiny sw tanks. Salinity and temp swings are a nightmare

my options are a 20 or a 29... I would haft to tear down the 29 so i would preferably use the 20.. How hard would a 20 gallon be ?

my options are a 20 or a 29... I would haft to tear down the 29 so i would preferably use the 20.. How hard would a 20 gallon be ?

20g wouldnt be so bad. If you cycled it well and do small water changes. Seen a few rocking 20L before. Some use them for frags.

• 3 weeks later...

20g wouldnt be so bad. If you cycled it well and do small water changes. Seen a few rocking 20L before. Some use them for frags.

Yup I agree, bigger is better, but imo smaler tank have a lot of pros, in a nano tank you can see a lot more stuff then you would in a 100g tank, for instance, in a 100g you wouldn't see a snail, but in a nano you can see/notice everything.

This is AWESOME! My lfs has a lot of mantis shrimp now and then.

Have you tried zoas and mushrooms(or ricordea)? They would look cool.

I actually have about 5 corals in there right now, got some zoas, brains, kenya tress, and another I dont remember off hand. They are doing pretty good, I had another in there but it didnt do so hot, still was pretty new when I added the first one. I think my levels were off a bit now everything has matured more I will start to add some things. My LFS is having a coral sale this weekend so I will probably bring home some more corals!

Saw this and thought of your tank

Its true, he destroys everything lol. He has a stack of snail shells up by his den that are stacked up like trophies. He is a character, sucks though everytime I try to show him off he hides and just peeks around the corner. He will only come out if its me and if I am alone, letting my wife feed him to get him used to new people. They have a very funny personality and are social with me.

Man... I still want one so bad but all my other projects are eating up my money and space... I cant wait till i get a house with a basement then its really on! Lol

Yea the startup can be a bit more than freshwater, but do like I did and just look for used things. You can't go real cheap in saltwater but you can get very close to what it costs to start a freshwater. Biggest thing being the light,sump, salt, refractor and a few others things lol. But if you take your time and look for live rock it is cheaper than you would probably spend on ADA soil if you find a deal.