39g Saltwater Mantis Shrimp

ctaylor3737

Well I have finally ventured into the salt water world. I know this site's for freshwater shrimp, and also know the mantis shrimp is not a shrimp at all. But I plan on breeding some saltwater shrimp in the future. I know a lot of people are probably interested so I thought I would start a thread. Good idea?

Well my LFS has had a Peacock Mantis for about 3 months now. I'm fascinated with how intelligence and deadly this creature is. I finally found a sweet deal on a 39g Acrylic Bowfront tank for $40.

It was a full setup Magnum 350, Aqueon 55/75 heaters, nets etc. It had a large Oscar and pleco. Traded most of the stuff in and got credit for live rock and sand. I am building my stand as we speak lol. Should be done and running later this week. I'll start from the beginning in my next few posts. Just giving the thread a beginning!

I hope to give everyone an Idea how to get started. Saltwater is expensive to maintain. One of the reasons I'm getting a mantis is to stop me from buying fish. He will eat everything that is alive lol. I want to do a few corals eventually when I get a decent lighting system.

Here's where I'm at on everything.

7ae133af6f63dbed5c6dd2df505de70e.jpg

20376e0955644fb89771951a1ef60433.jpg

bda59efa8f1c13d14169a61ec2e8493a.jpg

I'm adding a 20g sump, which may be overkill but hey it was free with trades lol. Like I said wanna do nice corals eventually want the water to be great. Also don't want all the equipment in the water. Want something clean and a display tank. I got the overflow parts complete and will be installing and drilling the tank tomorrow.

A sump will be a huge benifit on this type of sw system. Mantis are carnivores and tend to foul small water systems. Do you have a skimmer or fuge planned for your sump?

My favorite mantis (betty) has a pet damsel, and lives in a mixed reef.

How are you tackling your circulation?

I'm subbed too! Did you know they have the ability to see many more colors then the human eye? So cool! So, Chris are you going to offer tours when your fish room is done? :D

The way that they look at you is almost creepy, it is like they are analyzing your next move. This one if you hold your phone up he will flare up and come out to investigate, pretty friendly too for being a mantis. I wouldnt go as far to get close to him but hes pretty docile for the most part, good thing to is he is still pretty small. Alot of growing yet to do!

The way that they look at you is almost creepy, it is like they are analyzing your next move. This one if you hold your phone up he will flare up and come out to investigate, pretty friendly too for being a mantis. I wouldnt go as far to get close to him but hes pretty docile for the most part, good thing to is he is still pretty small. Alot of growing yet to do!

And yes I will offer tours, your welcome to come anytime. Just have to excuse the work in progress lol. I have had a few people over already that have seen it. All my stock is doing very well.

c4fb0e0f0a2a72d824e2dfeb3626ad22.jpg

The is the overflow setup I decided to use. Since I am a no on with sumps I went with the premade Aqueon Overflow kit. Its pretty cheap and looks great. There is literally hundreds of ways to do this. I figured a premade kit would get me going I,could tweak from there.

Did the over flow come wuth a box? Or just the grated return on the larger pipe?

Cant wait til your cycled and can get some livestock!

I'm making my own overflow housing. They are very expensive to buy one for the tank. I'm going to get some acrylic and make my own.

Im running my overflow with just a grated cover on the pipe, so I would nt stress on a box. Imo theyre more for aesthetics than functionality

Yea, I got so mad looking for a premade one lol. They don't make too many or they are super expensive, they don't really make kits because most will just buy a pre drilled tank.

So got the stand almost complete, need to do the trim tomorrow and then it'll be ready.

Going to my LFS with a ton of extra equipment, shrimp, and plants to trade for my live rock and sand lol. They probably hate when I come I have yet to actually pay them in cash for anything. Even the mantis was traded for shrimp lol. I give them deals though so keeps them making money. Not many people in the area have excess plants. So hopefully will have it completely running tomorrow night. My buddy is letting me have a decent LED light I just have to replace a cord on it.

Ya i used to do the same thing at Jamesville. At one point I had 100$ credit. From plants and fish.

Can't wait to see this mantis tank all set up

I had 300 not to long ago lol....

Ya i used to do the same thing at Jamesville. At one point I had 100$ credit. From plants and fish.

Can't wait to see this mantis tank all set up

U still gotta stop in one day lol

Yes I do, just need to find the time. Your tank is coming along nicely. What are you covering the frame with?

Going cheap lol, I have some luan I am covering it with then putting some trim on the corners and around the bottom. Was going all wood but all my stands are white in there so already have leftover white trim.

Just a quik update! I got some nice credit the other day at the LFS, picked my tank up 2 bags of Carrib-sea live sand! White, bag of salt! and I am still waiting on my return pump to make it to my house and then I will hook up the tank. I hope to have it running by this weekend and get the tank running. I am mixing up the water needed to get it going tonight and let the salt dissolve and get it ready to go in. I have the live rock paid for and will go grab it once I drop the water in the tank for a day. If all goes well it should be running somtime sunday afternoon, as long as my pump doesnt get delayed over the weekend.